Tape securing fan to heatsink -- electrical tape?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JoelMarcey, Jul 4, 2010.

1. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

I have a MacBook Pro 15" - Model A1226 (Santa Rosa, circa 2007).

I need to replace my right fan. AppleCare just expired (of course). But replacing the fan should be pretty easy, I think.

The only question is about the tape securing the fan to the heatsink. On the old fan it looks like electrical tape, but on the "sticky" side, it looks like there is a bit of copper (?) in the middle.

So my assumption is that regular old electrical tape is not appropriate, but some special kind of electrical tape.

What type of tape is that?

Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's probably kapton tape. Apple love using it to stick stuff together inside their machines.

3. JoelMarcey thread starter macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Pics

Here are a couple of pictures, both front and backside. The copper looking part is on the backside that sticks to the heatsink. Sorry for the blurriness.

Attached Files:

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Hmm, the tape holding the fan cables to the fan is kapton tape. Note sure what the black take with the copper insert is. I suspect that may be custom to Apple/normal tape with some special copper stuff stuck to the tape.

5. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Just get a small piece of copper, and packaging tap or electrical tape, and make sure the copper touches the fan metal, and heatsink metal.

6. JoelMarcey thread starter macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

This is where my ignorance will show -- you can do that? Just apply and stick copper to electrical tape? I wasn't even sure that was copper on the tape in the picture. Anyway, if this can be done, where would you go to get such a small piece of copper? I have the electrical tape.