Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
I have a MacBook Pro 15" - Model A1226 (Santa Rosa, circa 2007).

I need to replace my right fan. AppleCare just expired (of course). But replacing the fan should be pretty easy, I think.

The only question is about the tape securing the fan to the heatsink. On the old fan it looks like electrical tape, but on the "sticky" side, it looks like there is a bit of copper (?) in the middle.

So my assumption is that regular old electrical tape is not appropriate, but some special kind of electrical tape.

What type of tape is that?

Thanks.

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
Pics

It's probably kapton tape. Apple love using it to stick stuff together inside their machines.

Here are a couple of pictures, both front and backside. The copper looking part is on the backside that sticks to the heatsink. Sorry for the blurriness.

Attachments

• Temp 012.JPG
    Temp 012.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 173
  • Temp 013.JPG
    Temp 013.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 153

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Hmm, the tape holding the fan cables to the fan is kapton tape. Note sure what the black take with the copper insert is. I suspect that may be custom to Apple/normal tape with some special copper stuff stuck to the tape.

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
Just get a small piece of copper, and packaging tap or electrical tape, and make sure the copper touches the fan metal, and heatsink metal.

This is where my ignorance will show -- you can do that? Just apply and stick copper to electrical tape? I wasn't even sure that was copper on the tape in the picture. Anyway, if this can be done, where would you go to get such a small piece of copper? I have the electrical tape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.