Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
I recently learned that you can convert tapes to mp3. This product here does the trick.

Do you know of any less expensive way to do it or creative way that I can do this?

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
I use a much less expensive solution. I connect the headphone jack of my Walkman to the audio input port on my MacBook Pro. Then go into System Preferences and select the input and adjust levels. Then open QuickTime and record a new audio file. I use Audacity for noise reduction and breaking the recording up into tracks.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
I use a much less expensive solution. I connect the headphone jack of my Walkman to the audio input port on my MacBook Pro. Then go into System Preferences and select the input and adjust levels. Then open QuickTime and record a new audio file. I use Audacity for noise reduction and breaking the recording up into tracks.

Are you joking? LoL If you connect a headphone jack to a mac, all it will work as is a headphone jack.....LoL.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
:facepalm: He's talking about the LINE IN jack, not the HEADPHONE OUT jack. I do this all the time with my iMac, except I use Audacity to record and Soundflower to reroute... geez...

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
He's not joking, I converted all my tapes using a similar method about 10 years ago with a $3.00 patch cord from Radio Shack.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
Are you joking? LoL If you connect a headphone jack to a mac, all it will work as is a headphone jack.....LoL.

Admittedly, the sound quality via this method isn't the best, a cassette player with a line-level output would have been ideal. But some things I was either too cheap to buy in a digital format, or there were no other available recordings. I was able to make backup copies of everything for just a couple dollars.

Does this work with a boombox? What cord do I need?

I used a standard 1/8" male to 1/8" male patch cord. Your boombox may need a 1/4" adapter, but those are cheap as well and also come with any decent set of headphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.