Tapped Out- Beer at $120 a Bottle

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rdowns, Nov 14, 2007.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Link

How much would you pay for an exceptional brew? $10 a six-pack? $20 a six-pack? ... How about $5 an ounce?

That's the minimum going rate for Boston Beer's Samuel Adams Utopias, which retails starting at $120 per 24-ounce bottle. On eBay a bottle of the 2007 was on sale last week for $350.

The country's most expensive beer is also the strongest. The 2007 edition of the vintage-dated biennial release clocks in at 27 percent alcohol by volume, more than five times the proof of the average American golden lager.

The previous record holder: the 2005 Utopias, at 25.6 percent.

Boston Beer is releasing 12,000 bottles of the 2007 Utopias. The beer will be available nationally (except for 14 states, including Oregon, where caps on the alcohol level of beer make it illegal).

2. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

Over the years, I have drunk a lot of different beers from many countries, and have come to the conclusion that the best balanced beers come with ~5 % alcohol. Weaker stuff is the making-love-in-a-canoe kind of drink, whereas stronger beers tend to be too heavy on the malt and alcohol taste.

Anyway, I wouldn't really count a beverage with 27 % alcohol as beer any more. As far as I know, you already have to add a lot of sugar to the brew and use special ethanol-resistant yeasts to achieve such high concentrations. The outcome, especially if it is uses additional flavours, might even be tasty, but probably less than a good whisky (which is basically distilled beer). So unless someone offers me a free sample of this Boston beer (PM me for details :D), I'd rather say no and spend the money on single malts.

3. fotografica macrumors 68040

I saw that when I went on a tour of the brewery. I couldn't imagine drinking a "beer" with that alcohol content.I shouldn't knock it til I try it,but, I don't know...

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

expensive hangover

i'll stick to the stella artois i'm suppin right now meethinks :D

5. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

That sounds horrible. It's almost like drinking a (weak) spirit!

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

A really good beer, maybe $10-15 A pint max, after that I'm hitting the hard stuff

7. adk macrumors 68000

adk

People are paying ridiculous prices because this is a limited edition collectors run. Sort of like those people who paid hundreds of dollars for a $5 beanie baby ten years ago.

8. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

I am an avid beer drinker, but not a connoisseur in the extreme variety. I've tried several 11-14 point beers and honestly, if I wanted it to taste like hard alcohol, I would have drank hard alcohol. I can't imagine how much worse this beer would taste.

I like to enjoy the subtle flavors of beer, like Rogue's Chipotle Ale. If the alcohol is drowning out the flavor then its not worth it to me.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So Duvel isn't good?

Of the best beers in the world, I've come to the conclusion that many of them are brewed by monks.

10. BadlyDrawnGirl macrumors member

If you truly want to experience a rip-off beer, check out the price of a six-pack of Miller Lite here in New Zealand: US$14, because they class it as an "import beer." I remember when I could buy MGD 40's from the corner bodega for about three bucks lol...

I've tried a few "hard" beers, the one I remember most vividly being Kingfisher (an Indian ale) which made me violently ill after drinking three of them. Not nice.

11. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

Oh, I wouldn't say that a bit of variaty in alcohol is too bad, and Duvel is certainly something to look for.

The thing about beers brewed by monks (like the belgian Trappist beers, or many bavarian brands) is that they needed something strong for nourishment during Lent, when they were not allowed to eat. Being permanently pissed, on the other hand, was probably seen as commitment to one's faith.:)

12. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Duvel is fantastic! $12 for 4 bottles at the liquor store by me. Well worth it.

The most I ever payed for a beer was 24 pounds for a Belgian while I was in London- at the Belgo Centraal (awesome restaurant!). That comes to about $50 American. Ouch!

It was darn good though. :)

13. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Wow, $120?

I'll stick with Shiner Bock :p

iKwick7,

$50 for a bottle of beer? They really got you, didn't they? ;)

14. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

That stuff really is truly awful. I had a pint at a local Indian restaurant and I just couldn't drink it all.

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I like the Belgian top-fermented beers, which are upwards of 10% and beyond. 27% is quite strong though...I always thought that Sam Adams was a bit too big for their britches though - they'd like you to think they are a craft brewery.