Tapping on Trackpad to open things - Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AFKMatrix, Jul 28, 2007.

1. AFKMatrix macrumors member

Hi,

On OSX if i tap on the trackpad over a folder or something it will luanch/open it.

I have install XP with bootcamp and it won't allow me to tap on the keyboard to select/open things. Anyway to make this happen?

2. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

3. AFKMatrix thread starter macrumors member

Ok fair enough. Also how do i do ctrl+alt+delete in windows? I have looked at the bootcamp help and it says to use the Option key and the delete key above the arrow keys where is this? Sorry for being stupid but there is no delete key on the macbook pro keyboard as far as i can see.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Off the top of my head, I think CTRL+Option+Backspace works, although I haven't used Boot Camp for a while.

5. Gosh macrumors 6502

That's a good question - just realised I don't use Windows on my MB!

Obviously fn backspace is delete but I imagine this would be difficult to incorporate into ctrl alt delete sequence?

(you know how to register a right click on the track pad ref first question - two finger and click but tap tap isn't supported is probably right).

6. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

thats weird..did you try to go to control panel>mouse? maybe theres a setting for that or whatever >_>

7. AFKMatrix thread starter macrumors member

Right ok found out how to do it now. In the boot camp help it says to use Ctrl + option + fwd delete on external keyboard, on a built in keyboard it says to do control + option + delete.

Now as far as im concerned the option button is the one with the apple symbol on next to the spacebar, is this correct? If so then the bootcamp commands are wrong. All you have to pres is Ctrl+Alt+backspace key (the one above the enter key).

Glad I found this tbh.

8. kolax macrumors G3

Bear in mind that the Apple keyboards feature the delete key, the MBP's don't have a dedicated delete key.

Still, Apple should have mentioned the key sequence for laptops, but then again I think common sense should have resolved the issue, and you should have tried backspace ;)

9. AFKMatrix thread starter macrumors member

Well tbh built in keyboard means a mbp keyboard to me as the keyboard is built into the laptop. Thus apples instructions are wrong. So I was baffled. And anyone who is totally knew to a mbp probably will be too.

10. fred.buckley macrumors newbie

windows trackpad 'tap' AGAIN

when or where may i update the driver or whatever to fix this... i bought the ABP thinking i could still run a few apps on windows, but it's crippled for me without this feature... strangely, in windows, the the 2 fingered scroll does work (but not the tap)... if you folks are serious about winning windows users, you should be more responsive to this... 'not supported in windows' since 7/07 ???... you're in danger of losing this customer...

Hi,

On OSX if i tap on the trackpad over a folder or something it will luanch/open it.

I have install XP with bootcamp and it won't allow me to tap on the keyboard to select/open things. Anyway to make this happen?

11. warhead1 macrumors newbie

I was quite disappointed by the lack of this feature too, but I've been getting used to using the big button at the bottom.
    I'm more annoyed at how hard it is to right click using the two-finger method, sometimes putting down the second finger will trigger the scrolling instead.

And with the new multi-touch, the apple salesman told me it'd be the same in windows, how I can pinch to zoom in and out, and rotate. Total BS. The bootcamp trackpad has very limited functions in windows.

I'd like to see a (NEAR!) future update to bootcamp so we can use the 3 finger swipe + multi touch in windows (at least for zooming)

PS. Off topic, but does anyone know of a hotkey program I can use to bring the HOME, END, PGUP and PGDN key functionality back to the MBP keyboard? I really miss those :(

12. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Why is this thread still being posted in? It was months ago.

13. haner macrumors newbie

PC Laptops have had tap clicks and browser "swipes" for a decade now. It's not "not supported in Windows," it's Apple hasn't provided the Windows driver for their trackpad hardware. Hopefully Apple is working on it, since they promote Bootcamp and dual-booting for their hardware.

14. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Yah, you know what I meant...

15. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

16. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

task manager can be accessed by holding ctrl+shift+esc

17. Pim macrumors member

Pim

CTRL+ALT+DELETE just is:
    Fn+Option+Alt+Backspace.
    Easy as pie, right?

18. fred.buckley macrumors newbie

windows trackpad tapping

EXACTLY!... we're still waiting for apple to make the fixed driver available... doesn't apple claim to be different?... that is, not ignore paid customers with broken purchases?... i wonder if the air driver has this fixed...

19. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Do you know of any Windows laptops that recognize tapping on the trackpad as a click? Because I've never seen it on a non-Apple computer.

20. kolax macrumors G3

Works without the Fn key for me.

21. Slayerboym88 macrumors regular

Yeah, the laptop I'm posting this on right now, a gateway CX2100! Speaking of, that's one thing that is also sad about the Safari browser for Windows: it doesn't recognize my scroll bar swipes on the side of my trackpad. That is quite disapointing, seeing as how Windows doesn't have two finger scrolling like Apple does.

Just so you know, I was able to write and post this entire message without having to press my trackpad click-buttons at all!

22. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Windows laptops have done this for ages, and I hate it in OS X and Windows. Tap to click has to be the most annoying non-feature I've ever seen. Atrociously annoying. I make a point to turn it OFF.

23. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I always was under the impression that it isn't Windows which does the fancy tap to click and two-finger scrolling; more the brand who makes the laptop, because they all seem to use a different method of implementing these features into their trackpads.

24. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Mine does, I do not think that I have touched the actual "click button" on my trackpad in months. (other than right click) And for scrolling there is a bar on the side that is textured I just slide my finger on, or I use the arrows. It is an HP laptop BTW.

25. kolax macrumors G3

That's what I thought - the slim ability of multi-touch. Single tapping is a form of multi-touch and I've seen Windows laptops that can't tap.

I have tapping turned on because I used to use it all the time. Especially when I wanted to right-click.

It is still turned on, but I never use it now. 2 fingers + trackpad button. Just so much quicker to do so than tapping.