tapping on windows enviroment

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by asymvivastos, Apr 2, 2008.

1. asymvivastos macrumors newbie

i am trying to find a way to activate tapping for the touchpad on mac air in windows enviroment with no sucess. does it work for others? any advice for a driver?

2. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Won't work

My understanding is that - under Bootcamp - all "normal" mouse things will work EXCEPT for tap to click.

You can do things like two finger click to get a right-click etc. Of course, no multi-touch gestures should not work in Bootcamp.

Bootcamp on the MBA uses the same OS and therefore Windows drivers as other Mac systems; which doesn't support this. This is the single reason I don't have a MBP. I wish Apple would add this ONE SINGLE FEATURE.

HOWEVER,

I think it does work using Parallels and Fusion. These have come along nicely enough that other than for gaming maybe you can use these instead of Bootcamp. I tried both on the Air and liked Parallels better with Windows XP.

3. Philflow macrumors 65816

Two finger scrolling works.

Tap to click does not, neither does two finger tap (right click).

did anyone get it working?

4. neven macrumors 6502a

Both tapping and double-tapping work just fine here in VMWare Fusion without any special setup. Haven't used Boot Camp on my Air yet...

5. ddd269 macrumors regular

ddd269

Hmm... That is the single reason why you don't have a MBP? Talk about picky.

6. oli2140 macrumors 6502

I don't have a mac laptop but I am interested, how do you right click in bootcamp?

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

8. Philflow macrumors 65816

not.

or you need to connect a mouse.

things would be different if we get a better driver for the touchpad though.

9. ZaniCWB macrumors member

ZaniCWB

wrong!

Sure It works on Boot Camp! Leave two fingers on the touch area and click the button for a right-click. And scroll works too, with two fingers on the touch area.

10. Philflow macrumors 65816

11. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

For the record, at the time the VMs, Parallels and Fusion, were rather primitive and I could not use them for my Windows apps. Since then they have improved to the point of being usable - and they support tapping and some other gestures. I now happily own a MBP. Funny also, but I find myself hardly ever using Windows; I have gravitated nicely to OS X.

Don't even have a bootcamp partition (no tap support you know :D)

12. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

This discussion about such a specific feature shows just how far they've come along. Just from the fact it has to do with Windows I'd assume there would be video card and other driver issues first!:D