tapping power button does not put my macbook pro to sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by juantoothree4, May 30, 2014.

1. juantoothree4 macrumors member

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343

they say tap it once, and it will go to sleep. It only goes to sleep when i hold it for more than simply tapping it. I want to simply tap and go to sleep. This does not work for me, can someone please tell me how do I get this command back?

Thank you

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

This keyboard shortcut is no longer valid on OS X Mavericks.

Personally I like the new behavior of the power button because in previous versions, I always put my Mac to sleep by tapping on the power button by accident.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Since Mavericks a delay was added, I believe you need to hold it for 2-3 seconds for it to have the old behaviour.

Atlernatively, press cmd-alt-eject.

4. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Yet another thing about Mavericks that was better in Mountain Lion. Mavericks is probably the better OS but I hate it when Apple goofs up things that really work well for me. I'm looking forward to seeing what's up with 10.10 on Monday.

5. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Didn't pressing the power button bring up the Shut Down/Reboot dialog in Mountain Lion? It was actually quite convinient, as you could for example reboot by pressing Power + R or sleep by Power + S.

AFAIK, the immediate sleep was introduced with 10.9.0, and then changed to require the 3 second delay in 10.9.1.