Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vbman213

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Noticed today during a weekly "scratch inspection" that my bottom case seems to make a tapping sound near the middle when a little bit of pressure is applied. Is this cause for concern?

vbman213

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010

Umm, is this post necessary?

Edit: I know from previous experience that there are two clips that attach the bottom case. These two clips are positioned between the logic board and the battery. Could it be that the bottom case clips are not secured into the slots?

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you

troll :D

Noticed today during a weekly "scratch inspection" that my bottom case seems to make a tapping sound near the middle when a little bit of pressure is applied. Is this cause for concern?

have you had it opened before? - if yes just push harder, if no try it anyway.

really there are a few snaps on the inside and they may not be pushed in all the way, they will make a click if you push them in, but you have to push kind of hard.

vbman213

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
troll :D

have you had it opened before? - if yes just push harder, if no try it anyway.

really there are a few snaps on the inside and they may not be pushed in all the way, they will make a click if you push them in, but you have to push kind of hard.

Yea, I opened it up a few weeks ago. I did notice that it was rather difficult to separate the two halves even with all 10 screws removed. Sure enough, it was those clips holding it on. However, when I reattached the bottom case, I never really heard these clips "re-engage" with a noticeable "clip"

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Umm, is this post necessary?

Edit: I know from previous experience that there are two clips that attach the bottom case. These two clips are positioned between the logic board and the battery. Could it be that the bottom case clips are not secured into the slots?

Relax, it was a joke. Laugh and smile once in a while. :D

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Yea, I opened it up a few weeks ago. I did notice that it was rather difficult to separate the two halves even with all 10 screws removed. Sure enough, it was those clips holding it on. However, when I reattached the bottom case, I never really heard these clips "re-engage" with a noticeable "clip"

I just upgraded the RAM in my 15" MBP yesterday. It does take some pressure to re-engage the clips. The pressure should be applied directly on the clip locations. You'll feel and hear it when the clips snap in.

Between the clips there's a strip of sharp grounding fingers that makes a radio frequency ground connection between the bottom plate and the logic board, and requires a firm connection. If the clips aren't engaged, the fingers will scrape or tap against the bottom cover when it flexes.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Here is a thread on what I think is also what you are talking about PoPPIng

Apple put on a new screen for me today, and the "popping" is gone. I noticed it as well after upgrading the RAM and HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.