Taptic Engine: Does it work only on your wrist?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by maxap, Jan 11, 2017.

1. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Hi guys,

I was wondering. Does the taptic engine only work when you wear the Apple Watch on your wrist?
    It would be interesting to know. It would be a bad idea to let the engine do its work when you - for instance, charge your watch or when it is just laying on a table. The watch will vibrate when a notification comes in and possibly fall off the charger or a table.

Any ideas about this?

2. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I don't believe any notifications are pushed to the watch when you are not wearing it. If the watch does not detect that you are wearing it then notifications are pushed directly to the iPhone. Once you wear the device, the notifications are pushed to your watch instead. If you're actively using your phone while wearing your watch, then notifications pop up on your phone first.

3. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Thanks for your reply. In the settings of the Watch, you can choose the strength of the taptic feedback. If you are charging your Watch and are trying to change this setting, will the taptic engine function?

When you wear the Watch and choose different degrees of feedback, it vibrates. How would that work when you charge your device? That would be interesting to know.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I can not see the taptic engine, on it's best day, get your watch to fall off the table.

5. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I'm not sure if you've worn the Apple Watch, but the taptic engine really only produces a very subtle tap on the wrist. It's nothing like a traditional vibration; it's much shorter and precise. I heard someone describe it before as the sensation of a tiny hammer tapping your wrist. The newer iPhone also have this taptic engine, and the vibrations feel like the iPhone is tapping you.

Yes, you can change the taptic engine strength setting while charging the Watch, although the differences in strength are very slight. I do not see the taptic engine being powerful enough to cause the watch to move across any surface.

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The Taptic Engine doesn't function when your not wearing it. It does vibrate in hand (When your not wearing it) when you scroll and it notifies you when you have reached the end of the page or cycle.