Taptic Engine. I want to know more.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skadd, Oct 9, 2015.

1. skadd macrumors regular

Will the taptic engine be able to simulate texture, shapes etc while touching the display? If not now, maybe in the future?
    It would be, in lack of a better word, magical to feel the grass at my fingertips while playing an open world game. Or it could maybe help people with disabilities.

2. yillbs macrumors 6502

yillbs

I'm not sure how it would emulate shapes or textures, it's just a vibrating motor. Maybe with new hardware, but existing hardware that's present on our devices likely won't be a thing.

3. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

It'll be the new feature exclusive to the iPhone 14s plus

4. yillbs macrumors 6502

yillbs

haha, it must be nice.. it's hard to even imagine what happens once they get up into the iphone 10 arena haha

5. skadd thread starter macrumors regular

That's a pity. I've read that, one could in a way feel when pressing down a button.
    I would imagine if that's the case, it could also create different textures, vibrating and creating ridges:)

6. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I
    I guess it could if you dragged your finger across a location, that would definitely be possible.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

it's just a coil that vibrates when energized

8. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

The haptic motor is a leap ahead compared to the old rotating vibrator. While it advantage is the speed to get it up and running, I am not so sure it will be able to let us "feel" textures and other objects.