Taptic Engine Repair

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Alex2287, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Alex2287 macrumors newbie

Hello.

The taptic engine on my watch (42 mm ss) went out Wednesday morning. I got it to the genius bar by Friday evening and they said it would have to be sent out to their repair center. Has anyone else had their taptic engine fail? How long did the turn around take. I can't believe I didn't think to ask.

Day 1 of not having my watch. I miss it. :(

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Exactly 4 days for me. Not a good experience. Make sure you get a new watch-- check the serial on your "replacement." They attempted to "repair" mine and it started going wonky again after a couple hours of use.

3. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

An associate of mine said that when they had a similar issue with their first-batch Watch, they received their original one back - "repaired". It, too, lasted only a short while before going out again, and they were told that the Watch could be repaired, but if they wished to receive a new Watch entirely that they would need to use one of their AC+ claims.

This doesn't sit right with me... but, again, I'm getting this info secondhand.

4. Alex2287 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've always purchased Apple Care + for all of my Apple products, but have only ever had to use it for my phone. When I've taken my phone it, they've ALWAYS just swapped it out for another one, so this was a totally new experience for me. We'll see how long their "repair" lasts.

Also, i figured the buzz around the faulty taptic engines would of prompted the Genius to just swap it out on the spot.

Oh well. I'll keep you guys posted.

5. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I was without mine for 16 days... I didn't know at the time that I could have requested an express replacement with my AppleCare +.

6. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I thought there would be no buzz about faulty Taptic Engines.

Ba-dum bum. ;)

(it's like saying "my vacuum cleaner sucks because it doesn't suck")

7. Alex2287 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys;

I checked my repair status online tonight. Step 2 - "Service" was completed today and is now on step 3 - "Return" with a "Product Replacement Pending" status. I wonder if that means they just ended up replacing my entire watch? Hopefully I will hear back from them tomorrow.

I'll keep you guys posted.

8. Alex2287 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got my watch back tonight. The repair facility ended up sending back a brand new watch. Yay. We'll see how long this one lasts!

:rolleyes:

9. Michael/O macrumors member

Michael/O

Very nice. Pic?

10. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

Not too bad of a turn around from Friday night to Tuesday, and a new Watch!

11. Alex2287 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've only worn it for a couple hours and I'm kind of disappointed. The Digital Crown doesn't feel the same. It feels more "loose". The power button moves around making, a clicking noise. My old watch's power button definitely didn't feel as lose as this one. I'm debating whether or not to make this an issue. *sigh*

:oops:

Attached Files:

12. Michael/O macrumors member

Michael/O

If you're not happy, then you should tell Apple, I think. I just checked my SS watch and the power/friends button does not move around. Only in and out with a gentle click.