Taptic engine wesk at best

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bushman4, May 11, 2015.

1. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Tsptic alerts are. Easy to miss unless your in a quiet environment . Maybe that's the way it's suppose to be.
    The reason why I say that is because there is a prominent TAPTIC feature to turn on which adds a sound to the alert

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Apparently for those who don't feel it as much as others, the Taptic alert strength is adjustable. You should be able to increase the intensity.

3. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

I thought it was weak at first, but I was comparing it to a Pebble. I have since bought into the "Reality Distortion Field (TM)" and gotten used to it. Furthermore, I am able to distinguish between different types of notifications (Message, Fitness, Mail, other) based on the tap it gives me.

Really organic and natural notification system once you acclimate to it.

Tuck

4. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

What I am a little curious about is doing several comparisons of early release units like ones shipped in the first week and then testing them vs units shipped in late May and June.

The only reason I say this is because of the supposed yield issues they were having and I'm wondering if some of these ones that were produced early on are weaker units or if it really is just a subject difference.

I've heard both ends of the spectrum with some saying it's incredibly weak and som saying its fantastically strong.

Any other comments and thoughts from other users? (I'll change me in once I get mine).

5. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

It's completely subjective. I've compared the heartbeat taptic vibration on my own watch to a demo unit in the store and it's exactly the same. The people saying that it's weak just aren't used to it yet. It takes a bit of getting used to but, once you do, it's so subtle and nice.

Tuck

6. mdmt619 macrumors member

Mine feels very weak as well - when I set it to the "low" setting, I feel absolutely no haptic at all, even if I am holding the watch between my fingers to try and feel the pulsing.

Do most people feel some response on the "low" setting?

7. Ctguy macrumors member

When I first got my watch I thought it was weak, easily miss notifications, After a week I'm used to it now rarely miss notifications. I think it takes sometime to get used to it.

8. brandnew2 macrumors member

I've had the watch for a week and it still feels extremely weak to me, although prominent haptic helps a lot. I can feel all the taps when I'm sitting still, but when I'm walking I basically only ever feel the prominent haptic (i.e., I feel the strong initial buzz but rarely feel the taps afterward). It works but I'd prefer stronger taps as opposed to a buzz with weak taps.

Also, not everything uses prominent haptic - for example, the fitness alerts only tap you, even if you have prominent haptic on. I miss those if I'm walking.

9. flur macrumors 68000

How do you tell messages from email and other notifications? They feel the same to me.

10. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Taptic Engine worked fine for me from day one, actually. It was on the highest setting already. Prominent haptic makes it quite annoying, so I've kept that option off. :p

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

It works fine for me. I don't find it weak at all. Granted it's not as strong as the vibration given by my Pebble but then that is way too strong in my opinion. That said my :apple:Watch's taptic is set at its highest level with prominent taptic on too.

12. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Just got my watch today, and one thing I've noticed is that the vibration doesn't seem all that strong at all. Even with prominent haptic turned on. But I'm hoping that it's just something that I need to get used to and it'll become more noticeable to me.

One thing I did notice is that if I have sounds turned all the way down or even muted that it doesn't vibrate either? Is that normal? I haven't had a whole lot of texts yet so I don't know if it was just being buggy or was just in my head.