Taptic feedback for keyboard presses

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nicky G, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Nicky G, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015

Nicky G macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

I hereby decree that it would be oh-so-nice if Apple offered a feature in iOS 9 for the 6s and 6s+ that turned on light taptic feedback when pressing keys on the onscreen keyboard. Maaaaybe it's already an option, perhaps under Accessibility?

I say this, as I have been using the 12" retina MacBook since its release, and for me, I've never once really thought about the fact that the trackpad doesn't actually have a button. It sure feels like there's a button! It's extremely convincing. And I think that if it were offered as a keyboard feature, it would essentially be the last nail in the coffin of the argument that a soft keyboard isn't as good as a physical keyboard.

This also brings up the point, gosh I'm surprised that Apple doesn't emphasize the taptic engine more in its marketing for the 6s. Yeah, it's mentioned, but I think a lot of people are missing how it works, when they say things like, how is it any different than a long touch? It's the feedback -- the MacBook trackpad already offers the two levels of taptic feedback that the new iPhone does. Light press, then harder to "pop." It's really quite cool, and I think will transform the experience of using a touchscreen smartphone.

2. jeffjak25 macrumors member

jeffjak25

I would love this feature. It's one of my favorite features in Android.

3. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

I would love to turn this off it were a feature. A) I personally don't need or want it. B) the constant buzz would drive me insane, C) the biggest issue for me is how much it will drain the battery.

4. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Not sure if I would use it myself but to have the option to would be nice for those that want it.

5. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

6. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

That's just spinning up the phone vibrator. This would feel like a key press. The motors have to be specially designed to pull this off (like the new MacBook)

I would like to see this too but apple does key presses on the release of a button not the initial contact. They could maybe try flipping that logic for the built in one. Wonder what it does to the battery