Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Is it true that only we - the wearers - will know when we get a notification?

That was the embarrassing thing about other smart watches like the moto 360, I'll be in a lecture hall and all of a sudden there will be this huge vibrating sound coming from my wrist. Not good. I could silence it sure, but if it's true about Apple watch then it's a much nicer alternative.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
That is what it sounds like (or doesn't sound like :D ). I can hear my Pebble vibrate in the next room it is so loud. I will LOVE being able to stand in a group and NOT have to look at my phone when I hear a ding.

Cuyler

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Chicago
I believe you can change the intensity of the tapic feedback in the settings higher or lower according to your needs, however it's hard to say how well it works in real life without using one for awhile. The noisy environment of the Apple store could easily down out vibration sounds that you could hear in a classroom. I think we need to wait until next to get better feedback from new watch owners.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
It's a safe assumption. the tactic engine is different to standard watches. The Moto and pebble have actual vibration motors in them that spin rapidly. Apple watch doesn't. Electromagnets or some such if I recall.

macAllen

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Las Vegas
Is it true that only we - the wearers - will know when we get a notification?

That was the embarrassing thing about other smart watches like the moto 360, I'll be in a lecture hall and all of a sudden there will be this huge vibrating sound coming from my wrist. Not good. I could silence it sure, but if it's true about Apple watch then it's a much nicer alternative.

I agree! I have the original pebble and dread when I got a notification. The vibration compared to the Watch is superb. Taptic feedback is exactly how Johnny Ive explained it in the Introducing The Watch video. It's haptic and feels like some one is literally tapping on your wrist. Vibrations are short and discrete, but still viable.

I've like many other have tried one on and can attest that I don't think that it will be heard in a quite room even more so with the professor talking, unlike the pebble.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You can't hear it at all trust me I shoved my ear up to it when I tried it on. And the sensation is as they say 'like someone tapping you'

Ergates-thi-Ant

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2013
That is what it sounds like (or doesn't sound like :D ). I can hear my Pebble vibrate in the next room it is so loud. I will LOVE being able to stand in a group and NOT have to look at my phone when I hear a ding.

Wow, mine is almost silent. You can only just hear it when it goes off on my wrist. If I'm resting the watch on a desk, though, then the buzz is alarmingly loud. Original kickstarter edition here.

LuvAussies

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2003
Virginia
I tried one on and felt it the other day, it really does just feel like a tap on the wrist! I didn't hear anything. It's very nice!

tsrail

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2011
No sound - light tap

When I first tried it on in-store - I had the band a bit loose. The Apple employee was showing me features and ask "did you feel that?" "Feel what?" I asked.

The tapping was very subtle, and with the watch loose, I didn't even notice. Once I adjusted the band to get a normal fit, I felt it just fine.

Not sure if the intensity of the tap is adjustable. The demo units in store are not fully functional/configurable at this point.

As for one who spends time in meetings or places where loud mobile phone BUZZing is noticed and unappreciated, I think this alert technique will be excellent.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.