Taptic Noise

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by roddenshaw, May 9, 2015.

1. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

I'm on my third watch (sold the first two 38mms in favour of a 42mm). I'm noticing that when there isn't much ambient noise I can hear the taptic engine vibrate. I don't remember noticing that with the other two units, but I didn't use them for very long so they may have done the same thing. Has anybody else noticed any noise or, more importantly, is your watch silent?

2. Glene macrumors 6502

My watch is silent because I have it set that way, total haptic use for me.....that's the beauty of haptic, no more forgetting to turn ringers and texts sounds off before a meeting, church, etc....

3. roddenshaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not asking about the audible alerts (I have also switched them off), I'm asking if people have found that the taptic motor itself is audible in operation.

4. rob.james.arias macrumors regular

rob.james.arias

Yes, my taptic engine has begun to sound like a low octave "fart" the last few days. It is really starting to concern me that the taptic unit is failing. Fast forward today Apple genius says it's perfectly fine and called audible resonance. Though the two units my friends have DO NOT sound like they are farting for every notification. Day 15 of ownership LOL.

5. roddenshaw thread starter macrumors 6502

That's precisely the noise that I am hearing. Good to know it's not just me!

6. Wally© macrumors member

Wally©

7. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I've had my watch for almost two weeks now; taptic engine makes no noise when vibrating or tapping.

8. roddenshaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, it's good to have some opinions. I'm not desperately worried about this, but for me the one of the biggest benefits of the watch is being able to receive notifications very discreetly (I have even turned off vibrate on my iPhone), so the noise largely obviates the haptic feature for me.

Guess I'll go bother the genius bar in a couple of weeks.