Tar and Tether me!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bgspringer, Jan 27, 2012.

1. bgspringer macrumors newbie

On travel.....recently jailbroke my iphone 4 using absin 5.0.1. thinking the tether switch would be in the settings like the last JB, but I am not seeing it? I was under the impression this jailbreak would allow for tethering...I am I missing something? Needing to have a hot spot for my ipad, any assistance would be appreciated.

2. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

3. Mess macrumors 6502

Mess

As above ^^ install tetherme to enable native tethering function and youll be fine.

4. bgspringer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I know there are apps out there that can do that. My concern is that I waited to jailbreak to have the tethering. Was hoping for a techinical.."hey try this"......

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Jailbreak does not enable/install/add any app or functionality to the phone, All jailbreak does is give the user root access, allowing it to install/remove/manipulate directories outside the default user area in the file system. Most Jailbreaking tool install Cydia as a front end for apt-get by default allowing you to install and remove package.

If you want to add an additional functionality (like in your case internet tethering) you need to install an application to do that, on this case Tetherme will do that.

6. bgspringer thread starter macrumors newbie

I gotcha now! I installed Tetherme and all works as before. Thanks folks!!!

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

whats your concern? you realize you jailbroke to begin with to be able to install those apps, do you think it will effect your jailbreak after installing them?

8. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

There used to be a CommCenter patch you could apply after jailbreaking that would enable the native tether switch. You could then tether without an app and without paying for AT&T's top tier.

I used it on my iP4 under 4.3.3. Not sure if it's out there for 5.0.1.

9. macbookman83 macrumors 6502

TetherMe and Mywii only options so far that work well.