TarBall Patch needed to run Alpine on Snow Leopard please !!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sunpusher, May 26, 2010.

1. sunpusher macrumors newbie

This is my first post, and I have a very geeky need to run a terminal app called Alpine on Snow Leopard, else I may abandon email entirely. LOL, but seriously...

I followed the basic installation procedure from madboa.com to install on 10.5, but it won't install on 10.6. http://www.madboa.com/geek/pine-macosx/

When I contacted Paul at MadBoa, he said he'd send me a patch but I guess he got too busy, but he said it *will* compile under 10.6.3 also.

The source app is here: http://www.washington.edu/alpine/acquire/ I'm using the tar.gz file as per madboa instructions.

Are there any Unix geeks who could help me figure this out? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks...

By the way, I'm on a MBP, C2D, 2.8, 8GB 17" if that matters... and have 10.6.3, probably moving to 10.6.4 when it releases.

2. Middling macrumors regular

Have you considered Re-Alpine?

It's even got a nicely packaged pre-compiled OS X version. Just tested it and it seems to run fine on Snow Leopard 10.6.3.

3. sunpusher thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks Middling.
    I didn't know about re-alpine, and am reading up on it now. Did you use the dmg file to install?

4. Middling macrumors regular

I tested it from the dmg without installing (just ran the alpine binary in Terminal).

I did install the files afterwards although i don't think i'll ever use them (never know though).

5. sunpusher thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Middling, I got a chance to load the dmg today. I was a bit confused by their "drag and drop" method because the aliases for the folders to drag to, were not correct. But I saw that Alpine ran ok. If you have any other advice, let me know, but I hope I get things to the right folders for the program to be fully functional. There is a lot of SSL functionality to work, as well as I have to drag in all my old pinerc files, etc. and choose the proper folder for the "mail" folders. In short, I have never just loaded this program to the Applications folder and it seems a bit foreign. Thanks again. I can't seem to find quite what I need in their documentation either but I may try their support section. Cheers.

6. Middling macrumors regular

You may need to create the directories if they don't already exist on your computer.

From an account with admin privileges:

Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/bin
    sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/share/man/man1
    in the terminal should do it. Then you can simply drag and drop to the aliases.

/usr/local/bin should already be your PATH (at least it is in mine) so you'll simply be able to type "alpine" in the terminal to get it to run.

You should just be able to drop your .pinerc, etc files in your home directory (/Users/YOURUSERNAME). That's where most old-style UNIX programs store things.

Other than that, i would imagine that you could just follow most of the stuff from your madboa guide for configuration.

7. sunpusher thread starter macrumors newbie

I wanted to thank you again for your help.

I made the directories as suggested. Everything then seemed fine with the installer. I just wasn't "clicking" as to how to put it all together for a number of reasons.

... still a bit of work to do on moving the pinerc files, etc. but I'm confident you got me up and running.