TARDIS USB Hub!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MikeTheC, Sep 21, 2007.

1. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Perhaps this may appeal more to our British brethren, but any of our Dr. Who-watching fellow Mac users (or sci-fi buffs in general) will probably find this of interest.

I don't know who the manufacturer is, but someone has made a USB2/1.1 4 port hub and enclosed it in a TARDIS (i.e.: British Metropolitan Police Box) casing. The unit is replete with a flashing light and sound effects which accompany both connections by and disconnections of any USB device.

Almost a year ago, I had tried (and failed) to buy one of these from a couple different overseas (U.K.) electronics/novelty retailers. However, I have found that ThinkGeek.com actually carries them. Anyhow, I thought this might be of interest, so I'm posting the direct links to the TARDIS hub as well as several other electronic Dr. Who-related goodies which might be of equal interest.
    1. TARDIS USB Hub
    2. Sonic Screwdriver
    3. To-Scale 10th Doctor & Remote-Controlled K9
    4. Remote Controlled Dalek
    5. You Never Forget Your First Doctor T-Shirt

Shortly before posting this thread, I bought the TARDIS hub from them. It's being shipped via UPS Ground, so stay tuned and when it gets here, I'll post some photos, and if I can manage it, maybe even a link to a demo video I'll shoot of my setup.

I'm so happy, I just can't stand it!!! :)

2. Padraic macrumors regular

Please let us know when you receive the Tardis! I'm interested to see if the USB ports are on either side of the door.

Thanks!

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I have the Tardis hub. The USB cable and DC input socket are on the rear, and you have 2 USB connector sockets on each side at the bottom. On the front is a button which triggers a demo of the blue light flashing and the growling noise the Tardis makes when it starts it's time travel. It's way cool!

If anyone is interested I will post a picture or two.

Edit: I just thought it would make a good hub to plug your Leopard 'Time Machine' drive into :)

4. MikeTheC thread starter Guest

MikeTheC

>>> WE INTERRUPT THIS REGULAR MESSAGE THREAD FOR A BREAKING NEWS BULLETIN <<<

IT HAS ARRIVED!!!

Details to follow...

P.S.: Just read blodwyn's thought on using it as the connection interface for the Time Machine storage drive, and I'm liking it!!!

>>> THIS HAS BEEN A SPECIAL NEWS BULLETIN <<<

5. MikeTheC thread starter Guest

MikeTheC

Hi Folks. Just shot a video and took some pictures.

Here's the video: TARDIS USB Hub in Action

Sorry about the paucity of video quality; it's from my phone, and then converted from 3g2 (whatever that is) to AVI.

Photos to come...

EDIT: My wireless router died (well, sort of) so my web server is presently off-line. Grrr...

6. MikeTheC thread starter Guest

MikeTheC

And Now For Something Completely Different...

A TARDIS USB Hub.

[​IMG]

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

What a cool idea, I love it! Might have to think about picking one up myself! :D

Too bad Season 4 will be the last one for a while... I guess I can get by with quarterly "specials" or whatever they're planning.... :(

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Or buy the dvds...

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Meh, I still have copies of every Doctor Who episode in AVI format so I can just watch whichever one I want whenever I want... no real need for the DVDs... ;) :cool:

10. bartelby macrumors Core

But, but that's... Ah forget it, it's you after all.

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Exactly, remember who you're talking to here. A simple glance at my location and avatar should be enough... :D

But to be extra bastardly, let me clarify that I meant not just every episode of Doctor Who's new series, but every episode of the classic series as well (along with still frame reconstructions of the lost episodes).

Yes, that's right, I have approximately 170GB of Doctor Who episodes at my disposal. Every Doctor. Every episode. Ever. :eek: :cool:

12. bartelby macrumors Core

Now that's just verging on Nerdom!!

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Verging? Nah, I'd say it's excessively obsessive. Yet still bastardly. :D :cool:

14. woodsea macrumors member

Shard you are my hero. I ordered the Tardis USB a few weeks ago. I need to fill my external HDD with all the Doctors. 170gb I could live with that!
    They keep showing reruns here on US DirectTV.

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Hmm... but have you got the Children In Need Doctor Who/EastEnders crossover special? And if so, why the hell haven't you deleted it yet? ;)

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thank you, I try... ;) :D

It started corrupting my other Doctor Who copies, it had to be exterminated... :D

17. Chris F macrumors regular

Awesome. I gotta order me one of those.

I have been looking for a USB hub to add a second USB drive to my AEBS.

18. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

This TARDIS Hub is amazing! I NEED one!!!! Did you have to pay import taxes, if so how much, and any idea how much shipping to the uk is?

I love the video, i didn't realise that the light flashed when connecting a device...i like it :D

19. MikeTheC thread starter Guest

MikeTheC

No import duties here to the U.S. (well, at least none that we the consumers get to see). Click on the appropriate ThinkGeek.com link in my first post.

Mine came to just this side of $38 with shipping.