Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drfunk1986

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Not sure if this is the correct area, I did a search on Tardisk and it's been discussed but I didn't see a specific topic regarding it, just mentions from other convos. Anyways,

I own a Mid 2015 15 inch MacBook Pro Retina with the 512GB and 16GB Ram. I recently purchased a Tardisk with 128GB's for the sole purpose of it being an additional scratch disk when using Photoshop/Illustrator & InDesign for cache. So far, it has worked, however, whenever I allow my computer to go into sleep mode, the disk gets "ejected improperly" and then I end up having to take it out and put it back in which goes against the whole point of why I purchased it.

Is there some sort of setting that I'm missing? I've turned off "put hard disks to sleep" on the settings for battery and it seemed to work for 24 hours but now it's started doing it again. How can I avoid this? I just want to be able to leave it in the SDXC slot and it work.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Not sure if this is the correct area, I did a search on Tardisk and it's been discussed but I didn't see a specific topic regarding it, just mentions from other convos. Anyways,

I own a Mid 2015 15 inch MacBook Pro Retina with the 512GB and 16GB Ram. I recently purchased a Tardisk with 128GB's for the sole purpose of it being an additional scratch disk when using Photoshop/Illustrator & InDesign for cache. So far, it has worked, however, whenever I allow my computer to go into sleep mode, the disk gets "ejected improperly" and then I end up having to take it out and put it back in which goes against the whole point of why I purchased it.

Is there some sort of setting that I'm missing? I've turned off "put hard disks to sleep" on the settings for battery and it seemed to work for 24 hours but now it's started doing it again. How can I avoid this? I just want to be able to leave it in the SDXC slot and it work.

Well their website says they have software that makes OSX see it as part of your storage called pear have you installed that?

https://www.tardisk.com/pages/faq

If not and you would rather keep it separate then maybe return it and go with a transcend jet driver that has a toolbox app to keep it from being ejected.

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
I've had a Tardisk since August, 2016. I love the name, and it really did increase contiguous storage on my MacBook Pro (now running Sierra) from 256 to 512 Gb.
However, within a few months, I had occasional kernel panics, gradually getting to the point of many in a day. Tardisk tech support had me back up everything (first having had to get rid of files until I had 20% of the internal 256 Gb empty), pop out the Tardisk, restore everything, then "re-pear" the Tardisk.
Same problem started happening recently, I got the same advice, and I've just left the Tardisk out and for now am not planning on reactivating it soon. I'm past warranty, but Tardisk is offering me a 50% refund if I return it, but it's not a bad price for a 256 Gb storage card, so I may just keep it.
Tardisk is not yet compatible with High Sierra, so one reason I'm hanging back is to see if they get more reliable with the newer system.

ryubyss

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
I had no trouble using TarDisk with High Sierra, but then, I think that when I installed it that I used Sierra. you have to un-pair it before installing Mojave, though. the Genius Bar technician 'ed things up for me by installing Mojave without un-pairing the TarDisk first, so I can't use the TarDisk until I go through the re-pairing process.

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
I'm pretty sure I followed that procedure...it's been a long time. Since iCloud optimization has started, I haven't even used the memory card. I probably should have accepted the refund.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris

You no longer need to use external scratch disks on new machines. If you run out of RAM the internal SSD is so fast for the default scratch it will outperform most external storage.

Scratch disk options existed back when computers had little + slower RAM and external RAIDs made a difference. The only reason the options still exist is to support older machines.

come_again

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2018
I can't remember what happened but I had TarDisk tech support help me. he took over my laptop remotely.

Thanks. Tardisk appears to no longer but supporting the product - no reply to email/voicemail/chat/twitter DM. For anyone else in the same situation, at the Apple Store we simply took out the Tardisk, and the tech reformatted the hard drive to APFS, and then inserted the Tardisk and reformatted it to Journal Extended. Everything went well.

So no more Fusion drive, but on the positive side, so far over multiple days the SD storage has not unmounted.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
Garbage...

This.

I have had a very frustrating experience with TarDisk.

I haven't even put the TarDisk I ordered on 1/28/19 that JUST arrived in the mail last week into my SD card slot. It's being shipped back for a refund tomorrow, and I hope I actually see the refund as the company appears non-existent other than being able to order from them online (at least in my experience).

I tried reaching them via every email they have listed on their website, the phone number they have listed (I left multiple voicemails) and their online chat support on their homepage. The confirmation of purchase email that came out immediately after the online order was placed said it would arrive in something around 1 week after shipping confirmation. I never received shipping confirmation, however.

When the charge went through on my credit card and a few weeks went by with no communication and no TarDisk in my mailbox I contacted my credit card company to dispute the charge. The ping from my credit card company seemed to wake them up to my existence and they started sending me emails asking for my order number. I didn't respond, which was the advice of the rep at the CC company.

The TarDisk finally came, about 6 weeks late, and I had already resolved my storage issue. I found this thread and felt compelled to let others know my experience. Buyer beware :(

ryubyss

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
I never had to deal with it shipping late because I live near TarDisk's office (or its old office?) so I bought it in person.

now that the weather has gotten warmer I really should bike down to TarDisk HQ (if they still have it in the old location) and have a word.if I still can. I wonder what happened to them. like I said, I never had a problem with them until this year.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I never had to deal with it shipping late because I live near TarDisk's office (or its old office?) so I bought it in person.

now that the weather has gotten warmer I really should bike down to TarDisk HQ (if they still have it in the old location) and have a word.if I still can. I wonder what happened to them. like I said, I never had a problem with them until this year.

Interestingly, I am not far from there, either. Before I bought it via their website I called to ask if I could come to the HQ to make the purchase rather than have it shipped, but no one picked up or returned my voicemail. I, too, wonder if they're even at that location anymore based on the lack of communication.

ryubyss

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
do you mean the Massachusetts location? I went by maybe five years ago when I purchased TarDisk originally.

shiamu

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2021
Hi there
I know it’s an old thread but I really don’t know ho to solve the problem. I've upgraded my MacBook to Big Sur and now TardDisk appear as a separate volume. So I was searching for the Pear Instaler on TardDisk site but I can't find it anywhere. The only link takes you to a 404 Page Not Found page.Can anyone please assist? thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.