Targer Disk Mode with a Cloned HD

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Hey guys have a quick question. Im getting ready to buy a 24" iMac and i want to keep all my data of my old 20" G5 iMac. Would this work. I clone my HD right now and when i purhcase my 24" when it ask's to connect your old Mac plug the HD in. Would this work the same as if i pluged it to my old G5 just curious..

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
joshwest said:
Hey guys have a quick question. Im getting ready to buy a 24" iMac and i want to keep all my data of my old 20" G5 iMac. Would this work. I clone my HD right now and when i purhcase my 24" when it ask's to connect your old Mac plug the HD in. Would this work the same as if i pluged it to my old G5 just curious..
Yes, it will work exactly the same. I know because I did the same thing. I used SuperDuper to clone the HD of my old 15" mbp on an external hard drive. Then, when I received my 17" and it asked if I wanted to transfer information from my old mac I said yes...

"Please connect your old mac via firewire," popped in the cable, and it transferred everything over. When the system came up, looked just like my 15"

:)

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
awesome, it has to be done with firewire right not USB.. or can you use either?

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
joshwest said:
awesome, it has to be done with firewire right not USB.. or can you use either?
It lists firewire only (and that's what I used). There is a possibility you can do it through USB, but I have no way to verify that now.