Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hitch08

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
They have a lot of other gift cards besides iTunes, a lot of restaurants in particular. They do sell prepaid credit cards but you cannot use a gift card to pay for those. You can get any of the others with a Target gift card though.

^ That. Also, there was a thread from an article on the "Front Page" where various people posted that they were able to convert the Target card to other gift cards. You should take a look there.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
They have a lot of other gift cards besides iTunes, a lot of restaurants in particular. They do sell prepaid credit cards but you cannot use a gift card to pay for those. You can get any of the others with a Target gift card though.

Ok, that's cool. A prepaid credit card probably costs too much anyway, I'll try to find a decent gift card to somewhere I'll actually use it at. Thanks

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Good point, I'll have to go try. The sales rep told me I could just use it as a credit card, not to run it at the register as a gift card, so maybe it will work.

I used it online to purchase a regular Target gift card which was emailed to me and I then activated it to my smart phone. So I can now use it online or in the store for anything. At checkout use it as a MasterCard all 16 digits at the top and the last 3 digits of the 6 on the middle bottom as the security code.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I got a price adjustment today because the 32gb mini dropped in price yesterday!!

She just gave me a gift card, which was fine because I have a list for holiday shopping in the next couple of weeks!

mechanopony

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
A little confused here....so is the gift card valid for all of Target, or the electronic department only? Seems like some people had to use it for a new iPad, but others didn't.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Ok, that's cool. A prepaid credit card probably costs too much anyway, I'll try to find a decent gift card to somewhere I'll actually use it at. Thanks

Also consider using the Target gift card for groceries if you're near a Super Target.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
A little confused here....so is the gift card valid for all of Target, or the electronic department only? Seems like some people had to use it for a new iPad, but others didn't.

It depends on where you are. I was given a line at one store that I had to buy an iPad and all they had left were iPad 2s so if I didn't want that I was out of luck. At another target I was told I could use it on any thing in the electronics department but if I didn't use the full 200 I would lose whatever was left and I couldn't leave the store with the gift card...use it or lose it.

The receipt looks no different than a regular gift card and they printed a gift receipt so I am taking it back with the gift receipt for store credit. I will just be doing my grocery shopping at target for a bit :)

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California

I believe it is good store wide and online. Some people were told that it could only be used in Electronics and some were told it could only be used that day when they got the card.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida

Some Targets were confused.... Target said they were happy and we could use it on "anything". Then some stores said no, had to be done then, some in electronics....

It varied on the person, place, and time.

Somewhat of a fail since there was not a uniform policy.

The target I was at tried to impose the iPhone trade-in rules on the iPads, then she tried to get the Target manager to say I couldn't use two gift cards on one purchase. It was a sale to Target.... she didn't care!

As a new Target employee, I can say in no way was I treated as Target guest should have been. My boyfriend was appalled at her defensive attitude (from before I even opened my mouth), and he hadn't just gone thru orientation on how to treat guests. Ye gads.

The iPad returned to a NORMAL gc just fine today, and that is what I have my price drop adjustment on to use whenever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.