Target: "Apple cancelled our shipment."

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Snaaake!, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Snaaake! macrumors member

On my rounds checking places on my lunchbreak today (Apple, Best Buy, etc.) I asked a tech salesperson if they had any (a question i can now ask in my sleep)
    He told me they were sold out, and that Apple had actually cancelled they're next incoming shipment.
    Really just sheds more light on the strained supplies, sucks.
    Has anyone else been told anything like this?

2. shadrap macrumors 6502

Local Target here had initial and second batch cancelled. Said they may get a shipment tomorrow.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Reserved one at Micro Center. They said their shipment "hadn't come in yet" however they were expecting it to come in any day now. Got an email from them stating that "Apple has not shipped anymore iPads". Looks like I'll be waiting a little while longer :(

And all of the Targets in my area didn't even get any of the initial launch iPads. They still had oodles of Gen 1 iPads though.

4. 26.2 macrumors member

This is similar to iphone 4 launch where radio shack was promised stock but because demand was so great, they didn't get any for months. Don't hold your breath my friend.

5. rkahl macrumors 65816

Always buy from the source on product launch!

6. zenio macrumors 6502

What a difference a day makes.

I bought three from Target yesterday morning, went back to pickup one more this morning, spoke to the store manage as I had yesterday and she said all orders have been cancelled by Apple citing the situation in Japan.

I've contributed to the RedCross disaster fund, and I have my three iPads the best of combination of present moment circumstances.

7. mooseknuckles macrumors member

hmmm

I was being fed this same story by two guys on the floor when Target opened this morning. Saying that all orders were canceled till the 30th of the month. I had woken up early this morning and at 4am decided to check the Target inventory and out of no where there were a few "in stock" and "limited availability." This was not the case when I went to bed last night. So early this morning I headed to Target and was first one through the doors at opening. I got the run around from the guys. At that point I gave them the numbers to check, they went back and walked out with 7 iPad 2's. They were shocked, and said they had no clue. A manager came out and said "they just showed up on the truck, late last night."

Needless to say, I scored. Do your research, do not treat the gatekeepers word as the end all!

Best of luck!

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd take that with a grain if salt. How likely is it for things that happen at the corporate level funnel down to some clerk at a local Target?

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

Sounds like they were being told to tell you that..... Chances are they started advertising them before they actually had the orders confirmed.

10. ozred macrumors 6502

The Wait Just Got Much Longer

My Brother manages a Target store (not just a department within the store).

The latest he has is corporate advised them that Apple has suspended their orders , due to parts shortages as a result of the Japan earthquake.

Beyond that I cannot share anymore. Sorry.

11. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You bought 7 iPad2's???? WOW!!!!

12. sim667 macrumors 65816

read it again... slowly ;)

13. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Yeah, I did catch that a couple of days later, but since jamesoja didn't replay, I left it at that.

Must have been before my 3rd coffee, so you must forgive me. ;)

But then again, with all of these scalper/reseller threads going about, it wouldn't be inconcievable to have someone buy 7 iPad2s on the spot.

14. Meever macrumors 6502a

My friend who's pretty close with his store manger told me a similar story. The store manger was hypothesizing low stock might be caused by a mix of overwhelming demand and production shortage in Japan.

15. St. Germain macrumors 6502

Heard the same thing at my local Best Buy over the weekend. Wouldn't be getting any in stock until mid-April at the earliest.