Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone5c5-250x207.jpg
Target will be cutting the price of the iPhone 5c down to $49.99 from $79.99 starting this Sunday, October 13, reports CNET. Customers who have a Target REDcard can save an additional five percent on the device upon purchase. The move follows a rapid string of recent price cuts for the lower-cost device, inclduing Best Buy and RadioShack knocking the price of the device down to $50 with a gift card while Walmart dropped its own pricing to $45 through the holidays.

Yesterday, it was reported that Apple is cutting iPhone 5c production from 300,000 units to 150,000 units per day, with the lower-cost iPhone 5c seeing significantly better availability compared to the high-end iPhone 5s. It is, however, unclear how much of the plentiful iPhone 5c supplies are due to weak demand and how much is due to Apple simply having met demand through more effective production.

Apple announced last month that the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c had sold a record nine million units during the launch weekend for both devices, but the company did not break down the sales distribution between the two models. However, a report from earlier this week did state that the iPhone 5c finished second in sales over the month of September at US carriers AT&T and Sprint, and finished within the top three in sales at all four major carriers, which suggests that the lower-cost iPhone is at least selling fairly well.

Article Link: Target Becomes Latest Retailer to Cut Price of iPhone 5c to $49.99

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
These stories are just too funny. People don't want overly colorful phones, no matter what you tell me in your commercials.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
These stories are just too funny. People don't want overly colorful phones, no matter what you tell me in your commercials.

How many people are you talking about? Because, obviously, some people do. :D

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

People don't want overly colorful phones WITH LAST YEAR'S TECHNOLOGY.

The iPhone 5c sales should be compared to the iPhone 4S sales after the iPhone 5 launch.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008

The iPhone 5c sales should be compared to the iPhone 4S sales after the iPhone 5 launch.

True! Especially w/ that ridiculous off-contract price. Heck, people are better off getting a used iPhone 5 on eBay for cheaper.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008

People don't care about last year's technology. The people that buy these phones already know that. That they want are white, black, gray colored phones. Whoever's idea it was to make a neon green phone should be fired.

Think about what this does to the resale value to these iPhones. The previous models, the colors were basically neutral, hence easy to sell your phone to get a new one. But now, I'll need to find someone who will specifically want to have a neon green phone, which, I'm sure is a MUCH smaller market. Apple didn't think about what people do with their iPhones when a new model comes out. And now, they pay the price by discounting slow selling phones.

What Apple SHOULD have done is made the 16GB model free and the 32GB model $99 from the get go. But I'm sure that will be the last resort if the discount to $49 doesn't work out.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
Agreed that it's not the colors, but the specs. I've never understood the people who buy last years technology on a two year contract. To suggest that the pretty colors are going to grow that market is, I think, a false assumption.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Apple didn't think about what people do with their iPhones when a new model comes out.

You make some really good points, but to be fair, perhaps Apple thinks many people will be happy trading in their phone at the Apple Store since their new trade-in program started recently? The color of the phone won't matter at that point.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
All the people saying "LAST YEAR'S TECHNOLOGY" need to realize that they're not the target demographic. There are plenty of people who don't care about the latest and greatest. I would argue that there are more of those people than those on the cutting edge.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Having colour iPhones is not the issue.
I agree, the 'problem' is the provided colour choices.

Surely, a plastic piano black or space grey iPhone 5c would be popular among those who want to be a bit more understated.

People don't care about last year's technology. The people that buy these phones already know that. That they want are white, black, gray colored phones. Whoever's idea it was to make a neon green phone should be fired.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK

Considering you say that people don't want these phones they seem to be selling a hell of a lot of them.:rolleyes:

Apple couldn't care less about these discounts as they get the same amount of money regardless. This is retailers attempting to undercut each other, nothing more.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
The funny thing is I still haven't seen anyone, including my friends, that have one of these phones (referring to the 5C). Alot of them are still on the 4S and 5. And I don't blame them.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
All the people saying "LAST YEAR'S TECHNOLOGY" need to realize that they're not the target demographic. There are plenty of people who don't care about the latest and greatest. I would argue that there are more of those people than those on the cutting edge.

Well said, this is exactly how it is. The iPhone 5 spec is more than most will need and they go for the 5C because it feels better in the hand and its a bit cheaper.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Considering you say that people don't want these phones they seem to be selling a hell of a lot of them.:rolleyes:

Apple couldn't care less about these discounts as they get the same amount of money regardless. This is retailers attempting to undercut each other, nothing more.

You honestly think that Apple is not providing the discounts for the retailers to do this? :rolleyes:

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
You honestly think that Apple is not providing the discounts for the retailers to do this? :rolleyes:

Yup. Its not Apple. The reseller model works because Target, Walmart, Best Buy etc make money off the contract. Frankly, the only people getting "screwed" her on price are the retailers. But its only a $50 "loss" for $150 commission on a contract sale.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
The could have at least made more masculine colors.

They could have gone with a red one. Blood red, not neon red.

Black, of course. Perhaps a gray. And should have done a navy blue.

Nothing is stopping them from adding more colors though.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California

"However, a report from earlier this week did state that the iPhone 5c finished second in sales over the month of September at US carriers AT&T and Sprint, and finished within the top three in sales at all four major carriers, which suggests that the lower-cost iPhone is at least selling fairly well."

Sure, peopledon't want them as much as the 5S. Especially early adopters. But they are still selling just fine and will do just fine in the long haul.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
The funny thing is I still haven't seen anyone, including my friends, that have one of these phones (referring to the 5C). Alot of them are still on the 4S and 5. And I don't blame them.

Yet in my circle of friends I see a lot of 5Cs and we all love them. Personal perspective means nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.