Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Target customers this morning began pointing out on Twitter, through tipster emails, and in our forums that their Apple Watch Series 3 orders have been delayed, unfortunately mirroring similar events that plagued many Target pre-order customers for the Series 2 model last year. The affected users were originally promised a delivery window surrounding today's launch day, or soon after, and Target has now pushed some orders back by weeks, landing between October 10 and October 13 for a few customers.

target-apple-watch-delay.jpg

Target hasn't officially yet commented on the shipping delays. All customers affected appear to have pre-ordered the Series 3 device on or around September 15 (the first date they were available to pre-order), and were subsequently given delivery estimates for today's launch or early next week. One customer has canceled their Target order and ordered the Apple Watch Series 3 from Best Buy, with a delivery estimate of next week on Tuesday, September 26.

Last year both Target and Best Buy delayed the orders of many customers' Apple Watch Series 2 devices, and both companies ended up offering affected users a $50 gift card to use at each respective retailer's physical or online store. If delays are widespread again this year, it's possible that Target will offer some kind of compensation for those suffering from Series 3 delays.

@MacRumors Looks like Target didn't learn their lesson from Series 2. Bunch of us who preordered Series 3 got delay emails this morning. - Dima Spivak (@dimaspivak) September 22, 2017
Target explained in 2016 that it was facing delays in receiving Series 2 models from Apple at the time, leading to inventory shortages and slipping delivery estimates. When and if Target comments on the matter, we'll update this article with any new information.

Article Link: Target Begins Notifying Some Apple Watch Series 3 Pre-Order Customers That Shipments Will Be Delayed

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
How did this seriously happen two years in a row..

Because it's Target. Honestly though, if the Apple Watch is delayed coming from Target, they usually make it right and will compensate the customer for the inconvenience one way or the other. I think they are reputable given the circumstances.

Reactions: centauratlas

marjen

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
You can add Best Buy to that list. Mine was showing as delivery for today as late as last night. But this morning I received an email saying it would be delayed until Oct 22 with no option to cancel the order. Not happy.

Reactions: centauratlas

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Yup, cancelled my order this morning after getting that email. I have a better chance at finding one in store then getting anything from Target on time. Best Buy 30 minutes from me has plenty of S3's in stock for pickup today. If I feel like a drive today I'll go get one. Otherwise I'll just wait for next year, not that I really needed S3 anyway.

yanksfan114

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
This is the exact reason I only order from Apple and, worst case scenario, my carrier. They actually know how to do shipment estimates. Target did the same thing with the iPhone 7. Best Buy always pushes people back as well.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Although this seems like Target logistics, it seems like like the Watch Series 3 (LTE in particular) is the high demand item for launch day.

The LTE doesn't seem worth the extra $70 + $120 year to your provider, but alot of folks don't seem to agree with me.

I think many may have a corporate plan which will pay for all their data usage.
Others...well, they just have disposable income.

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
Because it's Target. Honestly though, if the Apple Watch is delayed coming from Target, they usually make it right and will compensate the customer for the inconvenience one way or the other. I think they are reputable given the circumstances.

I'll wait to hear the official statement from Target, but if it's like last year, it might be actually "Because it's Apple". Target would set their delivery times based on promised stock from Apple, and it looks like once again Apple may not be delivering quantities on time.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Target is a great place to go, as they discount Apple 5% if you use their Red Card. So I'll be saving $20 on a new Apple Watch.

You just can't count on any retailers having stock, save Apple themselves, on launch days.
[doublepost=1506102604][/doublepost]
I think many may have a corporate plan which will pay for all their data usage.
Others...well, they just have disposable income.

Others... actually have use cases for it. I'm one of those people who feel that carrying around a hunk of metal/plastic/glass in their pocket is a pain in the butt. I really don't use my phone for anything my watch can't do. When I want to do anything else, I use my tablet or computer. I rarely surf or do anything on my phone. It's just a necessary evil to carry around my phone so I'm connected.

I know battery life isn't here yet, but I'd love to never use my phone again. I can see texts on my watch, get phone calls, and read my emails on my computer at work or at home. I don't need to use twitter while I'm walking down the street.

Reactions: tkukoc and shoebobs

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This is the exact reason I only order from Apple and, worst case scenario, my carrier. They actually know how to do shipment estimates. Target did the same thing with the iPhone 7. Best Buy always pushes people back as well.

Agreed. And with Apple, you always at least have a later ship date predicted, but in most cases, the customer will receive it ahead of schedule.

Daniel_1980

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
Not just Target. I ordered an Iphone 8 plus from Best Buy at 12:00 am on the 15th only to receive an email last night saying my order is being delayed. Now I'm being to that it is awaiting pickup by UPS so the soonest I can get it is on Monday, not today like they originally promised. On top of that I can't cancel my order and they seem to have no intention of trying to make this right. Last time I EVER but something from Best Buy.

hortod1

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
How do I get red watch hands like the one in image? I know how to get a red second hand but not hour and minute hands...

RicD

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
USA
Folks, this is not a Target, Best Buy, nor any other sellers hit. Apple Watch is delayed because the Apple Watch 3 is having connectivity issues Apple must first fix.

Apple is causing the delay not the stores. By the way, I ordered my AW3, Sept 15, direct from Apple. Also, I am not at all faulting anyone. Now they know there is an issue it will be fixed before it is released. Excrement occurs, and it will be cleaned up; stop getting your panties in a wad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.