Target deal - switch to Sprint - 1/2 off iphones- good through May 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maverick22, Apr 23, 2017.

1. maverick22 macrumors 6502

Switch to Sprint and get 1/2 off select devices (iphones are included).

Pretty good deal...just not sure about Sprint's coverage around DFW. I know inside the store the rep was able to do everything "data wise" better than me. We did side by side comparisons of his iphone on Sprint vs. mine on Tmobile inside Target. Mine took forever to connect to the Internet and go to a webpage, took a long time to send a text, and his was instant for loading pages and messages.

2. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

They couldn't give me a free iPhone 7 Plus to switch to Sprint. Horrible coverage here, at least when I tried them a few years ago.

3. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

Believe me from current experience. You will have NO coverage!

4. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I can't truly speak for your area, but after nearly a decade with Sprint, a completely free iPhone with unlimited everything wouldn't be enough for me to switch back. Seriously.

I feel like the carrier stores are set up in a way where they'll always have the best coverage. When I was switching from Sprint last year, I tested each of the other carriers' speeds at each of their stores. Of course; I had *amazing* speeds at each one. Highest was T-Mobile with about 150mbps down. I chose T-Mobile and while I'm happy with my decision, I do not get those kinds of speeds regularly. Not even close.

I think Sprint has some sort of risk-free trial period right? If so, I would recommend trying that out. Sprint as a whole, however, I cannot recommend. My experience with them has been horrible from speeds to coverage to customer service.

5. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll have to talk to family members. My sisters are on a plan together. We usually don't talk "cell phone coverage" haha, but I may ask them some questions to get their take.

I know things have getting better in Dallas area. Years ago calls went straight to voicemail, they would have missed calls, etc. It was horrible. Things definitely seem better now.

6. VertPin macrumors 6502

VertPin

Sprint is straight up garbage. Do not switch.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You may get lucky and have decent speed at home. More thank likely, your coverage will be spotty 3G elsewhere.

I was with Sprint for 15+ years. Poor coverage and speed, as well as poor customer service. I am much happier with Verizon.

Sprint isn't going to be around much longer. If it were me, I wouldn't bite the bait.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

A few things from a former 16 year Sprint customer.

1. Texas is a trouble spot with Sprint. There is a another carrier in that state who shares a frequency license. Consequently Sprint is limited to the bandwidth they can offer in any given area. It may have gotten better over time, but people on Sprint's Reddit page are still reporting issues in Texas.

2. Customer service is and will be great for you UNTIL you sign your first deal with them. After that, you are nothing to them. All of the deals Sprint offers are only for NEW customers. They will never offer it to you as a current customer. There is ZERO communication between online, in-store and call centers. So, if you choose Sprint, pick a line of service. DO NOT MIX the three!!!

In other words, if you are promised something on line or over the phone, DO NOT EXPECT that to be honored IN STORE! And vice-versa. Sprint's customer service has been garbage for years and they can win all the JD Power CSR awards they want, all it does is discredit JD Power's.

3. Any rate you are given right now for plans, you can expect to jack up to 'full price' at the end of the promo period. This is how Sprint traps new customers. Lots of people are leaving Sprint now because the old 'half-rate' price expired. Sprint is trying again with the new low prices, but most people don't understand that in a year and a half the price will double.

4. Unlocking and SIMs. Sprint's network prevents the simple and easy swapping of SIM cards between devices. So, if this is something you do keep in mind you will be on their website a lot transferring SIM serial numbers to device ESNs (ESN Swaps). Sprint is also horrible in understanding SIM unlocking. Getting someone to unlock a device can be a trial in frustration.

5. The website is horrible. They have had a rash of security issues with customer accounts so they send you a code when you try to login and you have to enter that code. IF the page then loads you may be lucky to get in. Otherwise, you are redirected to ANOTHER login page. Since Sprint, has cut costs and trys to offload as much service as it can on the customer you can only get some things done on the website - which is difficult to log in to.

I'm sure there are more points, but I can't think of them off hand right now.

PS. Most Sprint stores show good coverage in store because they have some sort of commercial grade repeater device for their network located at the store. Step outside the store and if you are in a bad area for coverage you'll know.

9. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the info! Ya'll have scared me enough to not switch to Sprint haha.

This was a Target store by the way, not an actual Sprint store.

Thanks again to everyone else that chimed in.

10. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Just like eyoungren I was a Sprint customer since 2003. I stick with them up until a little over a year ago..

Can't really add much besides ... No one at Sprint k ows simple MATH. Simple arethmatic is not Sprint's strong suit

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…math is hard when the CSR help is outsourced outside the US. :(

12. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

I just recently ported two lines out from Sprint (and I had been with them since 2012). Service slowly went down the tubes, and we finally decided to make the jump when the 'unlimited plan wars' started making the rounds back in March.

It was hard giving up all the perks I had under my old a Sprint plan, but coverage has been 1000x better after the move.

13. avanpelt macrumors 68030

"You get what you pay for" and "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". Two phrases that, in my mind, aptly describe Sprint and their tactics to lure new customers.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It is and has been a ploy to buy time.

Attracting more customers means more cash coming in. Working the fine print so the discounts are recouped in other ways is a specialty of Sprint. In the meantime they stave off closing the doors and kick the debt can down the road.

If they manage to make the numbers look good in the meantime they attract more favorable merger terms.

But God forbid that Sprint would EVER correct it's ingrained corporate CYA mentality. Why that would start a turn around and lead to a successful business. And Sprint plays the underdog. Can't have that!

15. willmtaylor, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

HALF OFF DEAL WITH SPRINT

"Half the coverage and half the speeds for half the price."

*Limited time only. Prices and participation may vary. Void where prohibited.

16. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Like any carrier you have to see whats good where you live.

Sprint has a reputation of being bad but its fine here in NYC for me.

I would just get Verizon TBH since they offer unlimited now.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sprint is actually decent with good speeds in Phoenix, just not in the areas I am. If you happen to be in central or east Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe and probably down to Mesa you're in good territory. But the West Valley (west of Central Ave)? Swiss cheese. And it gets worse the closer to the 101 freeway you get.

18. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I literally just switched to Verizon 2 days ago and went through the hassle because of how terrible T Mobile coverage was. I thought I could put up with it back when I went to T Mobile from ATT but nope!

No matter how good the deal on the plan/device is, it's worthless if your service is bad or non existent!