Target Discontinuing iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ccashman92, Nov 30, 2011.

1. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Today as I was working at Target, I was helping someone with an iPad 2 and noticed that in our system iPad 2s are discontinued. We haven't received any information on why it is discontinued, or if we will be getting a new iPad soon. It is also very odd that they were discontinued right after Black Friday. We are out of a lot of models and Christmas is just around the corner.

I will keep you guys updated if I learn any new info.

2. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Interesting. Does Target sell enough iPad 2's to make it worthwhile for them to stock them? I always wondered that. I don't mean this as a knock on Target, because I love Target. But I always wondered if Target was really the market for a tablet starting at $500. I figured they probably sold more Kindles and Nooks than iPads. What are the sales like for iPad 2's there?

3. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

I hate Target so you can bash them all you want. But, I work in "high volume" store. We average 2-3 million a week in sales during December and made almost 1 million on Black Friday. We do sell lots of iPad's, but more Kindles. We don't sell Nooks very often.

I sold 2 iPad's today, which is about average. We probably sell maybe 3-5 a day. They were projected to do much better but never launched off cause Apple was not supplying us with any at launch.

4. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

SKU's get dropped from systems and then re-added with new future SKU's. Watch them magically reappear within the next couple of days.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Rumor has it that Apple & Target are about to release the iPad 2S. This model, like the iPhone 4S, will be a stop gap measure while the display vendor for iPad 3 continues to strive for a higher yield rate.

6. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

It wouldn't surprise me if they resurfaced in the coming days in the red & white gift boxes under a different SKU.

I am still not sure I buy the rumors of an iPad 2S if the previous rumors of a March release of iPad 3 are true. But rumors are rumors and you never know what to believe until they become reality. Neither scenario would surprise me :)

7. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Why would they need a stopgap in the middle of the product cycle, when the 2 is selling just fine and there's no reason to think it will stop selling for the holidays?

What gap, exactly, would this stop?

8. wxman2003 Suspended

From other sites I have read, Target is not ending their sales of iPad 2. They are just not going to sell all 16 variants, just the most popular. They are not going to sell the the 16GB 3g version, and a few others that do not sell well. Stocking 16 variants across thousands of stores is a logistical nightmare during the holidays.

9. 1goodidea macrumors member

The iPad 2 is already a stop-gap between the original iPad and the iPad 3.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The S nomenclature is unique to the iPhone because of it's 2 year carrier contract arrangment.

11. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

This actually makes more sense to me. Target is well known in the industry for having very aggressive category management skills and look to consolidate their offerings often.

However, I've read elsewhere that Apple's deal with Wal Mart forced Wal Mart to carry a certain assortment of iPads and iPod Touches in order to carry the iPad at all. Which was unheard of in the industry because nobody tells Walmart how to manage their inventory....its always been the other way around.