Target Disk Mode doesn't mount any drives

Discussion in 'macOS' started by peanutismint, May 12, 2007.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Woe is me.

I thought having a Macbook and a PC and keeping data sync'd between the two would be easy, or so Apple et al would have me believe. So far I've not only found out that their IP over FireWire, the only feasible way to transfer the large amounts of data I have, is seriously lacking (i.e. I haven't been able to get it to work!) but also that when I try to ease my woes by connecting the Macbook as a FireWire drive in Target Disk Mode, it fails to deliver again.

The first time I connected my Macbook to my PC over FireWire in Target Disk Mode, it popped up in My Computer no bother. Alright, so the only partition I could access was my XP partition on the Macbook (thank goodness I have that or I'd be right up the creek!), but I suppose it's to be expected, what with OS X and Windows having different file systems ETCETERAH. So I'll copy all my media files to the XP partition and then copy them to my XP PC from there, I thought. Every following time I've connected in Target Disk Mode, I've received nothing but a 'removable disk' icon in My Computer which, when clicked, asks me to 'insert media'. WTF, Apple?! So not only can I not have my OS X drive show up in Windows on my PC, but now I can't even have the XP drive show up?! I didn't change anything, I didn't do anything differently, i LITERALLY just rebooted OS X to copy the files I wanted from the Apple partition to the XP one.

Sorry to come across all 'angry like', it's just not the first, second, or third problem I've encountered since 'switching'. For a company who prides itself on how its products 'just work', it's becoming an eye-opening experience.

However, I understand it's probably something I've done incorrectly, rather than the fault of Apple or Microsoft. So I ask you, what am I doing wrong?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Your Mac Patition is formated in HFS+, which is something a Windows PC doesn't understand because MS doesn't want to understand anything other than Fat and NTFS. That is why only your Windows computer partition shows up when you connect it using target mode, its NTFS.

What are you transfering back and forth anyways that needs that much bandwidth? And by the way, even between two PCs you would be having these bandwidth troubles too. What type of fireware port is on the PC. 400 or 800 though a pci card or though a face plate firewire port?

3. VRTSid macrumors newbie

I had the same issue this morning.

My mac booted to XP (macbookpro with ntfs partition)
    other mac (macbook with ntfs partition) booted into target mode

when I connected the macbook in target mode the second time to my macbook pro it mounted as a removable media drive. I went into the device manager and uninstalled and reinstalled the firewire driver, it was the only way I could think of to force a device scan, it mounted both my "removable media" drive and my ntfs partition.
    :D

4. The General macrumors 601

Windows cannot read or right HFS+

You need a program like this to get it to work:

http://mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

With that, you'll be able to access your Mac partition from within Window on your PC using Target Disk Mode.