Target Disk Mode -- Heeelp!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michael Baker, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Michael Baker macrumors newbie

I just installed a new unformatted HD in my 5 year old laptop. I'm trying to reinstall Mac OS on it. When I use my Leopard drop in disk, the installer comes up and says i can't install because i dont have tiger on it. when i use my tiger install disk, nothing comes up -- it just flashes the question mark with a picture of a folder.

i know i've got to hold down the "C" key when using the tiger install disk, but again nothing happens.

I tried using Target Disk Mode with my new MacBook Pro, and again, it doesn't work. I hold down the T key and start it up under Target Disk Mode and nothing happens.

So my question to you all ... does anybody know if Target Disk Mode is build-in to the hardware or is it part of the software. For example, if you stick in a unformatted hard-drive with nothing on it into your old powerbook, can you still access that via Target Disk Mode via a new MacBook Pro?

I'm just wondering if I perhaps made a mistake reconnecting the keyboard ribbon, which might explain why nothing happens when I press the "C" or "T" buttons on start-up?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

As far as I know, it is built into the Firmware, so i believe you can use TDM without any OS installed.

3. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

You say the laptop is 5 years old... I'm not sure when they changed the shortcuts to boot from disk and target disk mode, but I know that they used have a different key combo.

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Target Disk Mode does not require the OS. TDM is within the host computer and the targeted computer is only an external hard drive.

You said your other laptop was brand new. Now, when Apple released the Uni-bodies they killed TDM (Which had me all up in arms). Even though the MBPs still have FW I am not sure they still support TDM.

Remote install is out of the question as there is no OS on the other drive.
    (This is one of the scenarios I thought would be an issue when Apple Killed tDM).