Target disk mode help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Alex884567, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Alex884567 macrumors newbie

Hi there, I've been trying to move data from my MacBook Pro 2009 to my iMac 2011 using target disk mode via FireWire. I can copy over small files fine but when trying to copy anything large, such as my 50gb iPhoto library it doesn't seem to be transferring all of the files. I'm left with a folder icon that has an incomplete white bar at the bottom (presumably signifying that the transfer is only two thirds complete) and a small 'X' icon in the corner of the folder, instead of the usual iPhoto library icon. When I tried to transfer my iTunes library it had only copied a few folders. The copying progress bar disappears as if the transfer is finished which is very confusing. Can anyone please help?

2. simsaladimbamba

Tried cloning software like SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7 is still free and available for download here and works with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) yet?

3. Alex884567 thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't tried any of those program's yet as I was hoping it could be done via target disk mode, am I using the incorrect method?

4. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

You're using the correct method but Finder can sometimes be flakey when copying large files, either from an external hard drive or another Mac via target disk mode. If you're comfortable using Terminal you can force a copy of iPhoto using the below command. MBP-iPhoto means the iPhoto library on your MacBook Pro, you can drag it from the finder to the Terminal window to populate the exact path. Destination means the destination folder on your iMac, you can also drag this folder (Pictures, Desktop, whatever) to the Terminal window to populate the path.

Code:
    cp -Rfv MBP-iPhoto Destination
    So basically you will...
    • Open Terminal (Applications/Utilities)
    • Type "cp -Rfv " (note the space after the "v")
    • Drag the MacBook Pro's iPhoto library onto the Terminal window. Terminal should now show "cp -Rfv /Volumes/Macintosh \HD/iPhoto" or something similar.
    • Drag your destination folder to the Terminal Window. Terminal should now show "cp -Rfv /Volumes/Macintosh \HD \1/iPhoto /Volumes/Macintosh \HD/Pictures" or something similar.
    • Hit return on your keyboard.
    • Terminal should show a log of what it's doing. Once it's finished you will see the normal command prompt, thats the only indicator (besides iPhoto showing properly in the Finder) that it's finished.

I often find that this is a little more reliable and fuss free than copying via Finder when working with large files/folders.

5. simsaladimbamba

Cloning software can be used via TDM, it is just more thorough when copying, and when something goes awry, it does not abort.