Target Disk Mode Not Working

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bdugan, Sep 26, 2008.

1. bdugan macrumors regular

Recently, my MBP stopped working. Ive had it since the new MBP's came out and last week I updated it to leopard and 2 gigs of ram. Everything worked fine for a week, then last saturday it was running on its battery and it died at 78%. I tried turning it back on, and I received the following message:

You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart button.

I tried everything to get it to work again, and it wont. I even uninstalled the new ram and put in the original ram and it still didnt work. I went to the apple store and they said it needs a new logic board, and I am out of warranty and it will cost over $1000 to fix.

Today, I bought a firewire cable to hopefully transfer the old data from my MBP to my mom's MB. I start up my old computer in target disk mode, but the harddrive never shows up on the MB desktop. I have also tried the Migration Assistant, and that never picks up the harddrive either.

I have tried every possible way of restarting the computers, unplugging and plugging back in the cables.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get my old files onto the new computer?

Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If the logic board is fried there's a good chance that even Target Disk Mode won't work. You might want to just open the MacBook Pro up and remove the hard drive.

3. bdugan thread starter macrumors regular

How do I do that? The same way I removed the RAM?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. Purple Pelican macrumors member

Your logic board failure might be the thing that's keeping you from using Target Disk Mode. I'm not completely sure about that, but here's what I would do.

I would open up that MBP, pull out the hard drive, and put it into an external enclosure. These enclosures are cheap... Most of them are less than 25 bucks or so if you look it up on Newegg.

There's plenty of directions on how to do this on the internet. The MBP's hard drive is not considered to be a user-servicable part, but it is doable, and since your warranty is void it doesn't matter if you open up your machine anyway. With any luck, if your HD is still all right, then you should be able to get your data back.

6. bdugan thread starter macrumors regular

Any ideas as to whether the new ram or upgrading to leopard caused the logic board to fail?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It doesn't seem that way. It looks like a freak occurrence to me.

8. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Whoever you worked with at the Apple store doesn't know what they're talking about. They have a depot repair service that will fix anything on a MBP as long as there is no accidental damage for $310 plus tax.