Target Disk Mode question

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
Hi, im trying to install OS X on an ibook thru my PB and was having some issues. I have the ibook connect to my PB in target disk mode via firewire, and i get an error saying my PB cant read the ibooks hard drive. i open up disk utility and it cant even pass the verification check. the error message reads

"Disk Utility stopped verifying “disk1s10” because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit"

ummm....yea....is my ibooks hard drive bad?

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
the OS X disc is a retail cd, not the cds that came with my pb. the hard drives do not mount either

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
jamesi said:
the OS X disc is a retail cd, not the cds that came with my pb. the hard drives do not mount either
Meaning, the answer to my question is "no"?

If this is the case, the drive on the iBook is the problem. At a minimum you need to run fsck on it in single user mode. More likely, you will need a commercial disk repair application, such as Disk Warrior. Potentially, it will need to be replaced.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I should add that the possibly of a bad Firewire cable can't be ruled out. If you have any way of testing this (another cable, hooking up another device) I highly recommend it.