Target Disk Mode: What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orvn, Jul 30, 2012.

1. orvn, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

orvn macrumors 6502

So I have a 13" Macbook Pro whose hard disk I need to access (to run Alsoft's Disk Warrior) = the target machine

I have access to my wife's 15" MBP = the host.

- The host is on.
    - I connect the two machines with a male-male, 9pin/9pin, 800 mbit firewire cable which I just bought new.
    - I power the target on, holding the 't' button. The power is plugged into this machine.
    - Target displays a large firewire icon on the screen indicating that target mode has been successfully accessed.
    - The target drive does not mount on the host machine. It isn't visible on the desktop and the unix command 'mount' doesn't indicate that the target drive is connected.

There are no other firewire devices connected to either machine (actually there are no other devices, period. Aside from the router connected via wi-fi).

Am I doing something wrong? Should I get a new firewire cable?

PROBLEM SOLVED.

For some reason, it took about ten minutes for the host to detect the target via firewire. Odd.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sounds like a failing drive. Funny, I think I told you that in your other thread too…

EDIT: Oh, and before you post a witty comeback, yes, I read the "solution". That is what indicates to me a failing drive, along with the rest of the circumstances of the whole situation.
    jW

3. orvn thread starter macrumors 6502

I do try to promote the least ego-driven version of myself, so I don't know if I would have retaliated with a witty comeback.

You raise a valid point. It's just likely something I don't want to hear.
    Hopefully this disk lasts me until whenever the 13" Retina's come out.

Thanks for the feedback. Upon retroanalysis I genuinely appreciate it.