target display mode on iMac 2011

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jvmxtra, Mar 29, 2012.

1. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

not working due to thunderbolt requirement(source and destination both must be thunderbolt equipped).

So basically, apple gave us something that 99.9% of us cannot use(either no thunderbolt peripheral or way too damn expensive) and broke one great feature of previous iMac.

Way to go apple.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You can use an ethernet cable between Macs if Thunderbolt is not viable, but I agree, it's been a bit of a washout really...Used mine once and put it back in it's packaging.

3. jvmxtra thread starter macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Unless apple fix this, I will make this my last iMac that I purchase.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm confused why you are annoyed by this?

Apple offers a feature on their computer which didn't exist until the Late 2009 iMac. People where buying iMac before that and it was all fine. Now there are hardware limitations, so the new connection requires all devices to have Thunderbolt for it work.

I can't imagine the target display functionality to be the main selling point for you. What about the fact that it's Apple "mainstream" option for most folk? Or that it has a nice display saving you from hunting for an alternative?

5. jvmxtra thread starter macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Yeah how about the fact that thunderbolt is useless.. hows that working out for you? What are you using it for?

6. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

I had a couple of uses for it, one for my now Mini Server that only has miniDP - itd be nice to use the 27" screen to monitor the server instead of remoting into it or using a nother monitor.

The previous gen iMacs were great with gaming rigs and other devices with miniDP.

If its a feature, it should be utilized as much as it can. Why half do it when it should be fully compatible - theres where I dont see why it is even a problem they couldnt have corrected or found a solution for.

Target Display mode via Ethernet? You can use ethernet for Migration and thats it, theyre meaning using the Display as a secondary monitor or visual source.

7. jvmxtra thread starter macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

This Plus, at my house, I don't have lot of spaces so only have one desk to put everything. It would be super great if I can maintain my iMac and also plug in wife's gaming pc into iMac.. I really don't understand why apple would do this.. Why? This is beyond stupid. This so that thunderbolt can come up ? Which is not good for general public for at least another year?(at LEAST!)

8. Yury macrumors newbie

Absolutely agree with jvmxtra!
    If we got no thunderbolt peripherals or it's overpriced, so I think apple could make just support to use imac as target display via HDMI or miniDP > Thunderbolt. Older macs uses mini DP, new apple tv goes with HDMI. Why not usign iMac display?

Also would be nice to see USB3 <> Thunderbolt connection kit or cable.

9. jvmxtra thread starter macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Btw, even if this didn't exist prior to 2009, once it was available, I bet people who knew about it loved it and used pc and other device(namely gaming console device).
    We pay great deal of money for this great iMac, I wish great feature like that carries over or at least given a consideration to have work around.

10. mach10 macrumors newbie

The situation really sucks; there's simply no need for Apple to restrict this, why can't they just run an old working DP or better yet a frickin' HDMI port in there as well as introducing TB!?

HDMI 1.3 supports resolution 2560x1600 at 24 bits/pixel... there's just NO NEED to force TB on us without an alternative solution!! IT's pure greed... making you buy more hardware.