Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I have an unusual question .

I want to add a Mac Mini to a MacBook Air. The Mini will be used as a remote machine controlled by the MBA. This will work, but I need to have the use of a monitor to set up the Mini.

SO my question is this : Can I use the MBA as the target display for the Mini while I'm doing the set up ?

Yes, I know, normally the MBA is the source and an iMac is used as the target display. This is sort of the inverse.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I have an unusual question .

I want to add a Mac Mini to a MacBook Air. The Mini will be used as a remote machine controlled by the MBA. This will work, but I need to have the use of a monitor to set up the Mini.

SO my question is this : Can I use the MBA as the target display for the Mini while I'm doing the set up ?

Yes, I know, normally the MBA is the source and an iMac is used as the target display. This is sort of the inverse.

I've never heard of this working. How would you intend to connect the mini to the MBA? The MBA doesn't have any inputs.

I guess, in a round about sort of way, you could convert the mini's video output to composite or component. Then, on the MBA, you could use a composite/component-USB to view the output. Check out the Hauppauge HD-PVR or the EyeTV Video Recorder.

However, with that said, an easier way to do this would be to hook the mini up to an HDTV using HDMI. Do your set-up (make sure you enable the Remote Desktop in the Sharing preferences). Then VNC (or screen share) from the MBA to the mini.

ft

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I've never heard of this working. How would you intend to connect the mini to the MBA? The MBA doesn't have any inputs.

I guess, in a round about sort of way, you could convert the mini's video output to composite or component. Then, on the MBA, you could use a composite/component-USB to view the output. Check out the Hauppauge HD-PVR or the EyeTV Video Recorder.

However, with that said, an easier way to do this would be to hook the mini up to an HDTV using HDMI. Do your set-up (make sure you enable the Remote Desktop in the Sharing preferences). Then VNC (or screen share) from the MBA to the mini.

ft

I was going to use a Thunderbolt cable between the two. There is an Apple document that says that any Mac can use another Mac for a display, as long as they both have Thunderbolt ( http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Thunderbolt/10.6/en/30822.html ). I guess they meant MBA to iMac, but why not Mini to MBA ? Otherwise I'm having to keep another display (which I do have) attached to the Mini which is a pain for what I want to do.

I don't yet have the Mini or the cable but it would be useful to get an idea before I commit.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I had always thought that only the 27" iMac was capable of Target Display Mode, but the way the KB is written, it seems that any TBolt Mac can be used. I've never read anyone trying this. A $50 TB cable is pretty pricey to just test with.

Do you have an Apple Store nearby to test this out on. Just bring your MBA with you to the store. I'm sure they have TB cables that you could use.

But if you're using the mini in headless mode, and only need the display for initial set-up, you're better off keeping the current monitor around for the set-up. Once it's set-up, then disconnect the monitor and put it away. Use the MBA to remote in, like you plan. This costs you nothing.

ft

keantan

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2008
Penang, Malaysia
I was going to use a Thunderbolt cable between the two. There is an Apple document that says that any Mac can use another Mac for a display, as long as they both have Thunderbolt ( http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Thunderbolt/10.6/en/30822.html ). I guess they meant MBA to iMac, but why not Mini to MBA ? Otherwise I'm having to keep another display (which I do have) attached to the Mini which is a pain for what I want to do.

I don't yet have the Mini or the cable but it would be useful to get an idea before I commit.

Maybe head over to an apple store and ask them if you could test this out with your MBA on one of their demo units?

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Thanks to both, I'll give it a try.
There's no Apple store nearby but there is a friendly Reseller in a city 50 miles away. Next time I'm there I'll try it.

FHintsch

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Thanks to both, I'll give it a try.
There's no Apple store nearby but there is a friendly Reseller in a city 50 miles away. Next time I'm there I'll try it.

Please tell me the result of yout test. I want to do the same. Driving an MBA as a target display of a Mac mini. Is it possible with a thunderbold cable?

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Please tell me the result of yout test. I want to do the same. Driving an MBA as a target display of a Mac mini. Is it possible with a thunderbold cable?

Sorry, but I can't remember anymore. I abandoned the test as there were other problems with making my config work. In the end I used VNC to connect my MBA to the target machine (which isn't a MacMini as there were problems with WOL and Black Screen on the Mini)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.