Target Display Mode question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alex_ivaylov, Aug 5, 2015.

1. alex_ivaylov macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a macbook pro (late 2013 which doesn't have an ethernet jack) and an iMac (27" mid-2011). I like using the big iMac as an external monitor for the macbook. I use target display mode, I also get the sound from the laptop on the iMac. Most of the time I have internet using ethernet to thunderbolt adaptor plugged into the macbook.

However, I have another ethernet cable plugged into the iMac, so I was wandering - is it possible to somehow make the macbook use the ethernet which is plugged into the iMac and remove the adaptor?

Also, is it possible to use the thunderbolt jacks on the iMac as if they were jacks on the macbook (I know the thunderbolt display can do that)?

thanks a lot,
    Alex

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The best you can do is Internet Sharing over Thunderbolt Bridge. True port sharing isn't possible unfortunately, the Macs remain independent, but you can access drives connected to the iMac using File Sharing.

3. alex_ivaylov, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015

alex_ivaylov thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this - I just shared the connection and it seems to be working.

UPDATE: Internet Connection Sharing resulted in very slow speed so I decided to get an Ethernet to USB adaptor. After I installed the drivers - this method seems to be working very well.