Target Display Mode - Will it damage my iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CompanionCube, Feb 20, 2011.

1. CompanionCube macrumors regular

CompanionCube

I'm curious if anyone has used Target Display Mode extensively. Are there any down sides to this? I want to use it to switch back and forth on my iMac and my gaming system. Right now I'm using an Atlona DP-400 and running SLI GTX580 graphics cards for gaming. So far it's magical, just scared I will damage my iMac. It's kind of like having a monitor that happens to have fans in it and is a mac. :D

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why would an Apple built-in feature damage your Mac?

3. CompanionCube thread starter macrumors regular

CompanionCube

What I mean is, does anyone see this as being too stressful on the components over time? I'm just throwing the question out there because my use-case is a little different. I'll be doing long gaming stretches on the system, using my gaming computer, while the iMac components (inside the display) are just idling. So I wanted to be 100% sure this wouldn't damage anything. Thats all. :cool:

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

How can "idling" possibly be "too stressful"?

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It won't damage it anymore than you using an iMac that much. People use them at work all over the world much more than I'm sure you'll be using it.

6. CompanionCube thread starter macrumors regular

CompanionCube

Well the entire time I would be gaming, the components inside would be generating heat and combined with the LCD being on, I'm just worried it would create an unhealthy environment for the system. Thats all. I guess I am overreacting :eek:

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

And that wouldn't be happening when people are actually using the computer? It would be more so in their cases.

8. .Max. macrumors member

.Max.

I think he means the fans wouldn't be on, unlike if it was in use :)