Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I saw this sign at my local Target.

I have nothing but sympathy for what has happened in Japan, but is Target just making excuses for low stock or do you think this is the "real" story behind the iPad shortage? Interesting.

]

deluxeh0

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2009
Hmm could be the answer apple gave target. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case though

krnboy503

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
I saw this sign at my local Target.

I have nothing but sympathy for what has happened in Japan, but is Target just making excuses for low stock or do you think this is the "real" story behind the iPad shortage? Interesting.

]

I hate the fact companies will do anything to make it look as if their company shouldn't be blamed..

Funny cause all Oregon Target stores are getting 5-10 iPads per store/per day in the morning...

Hobbes.

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
I was on the phone with sweetwater which is where I ordered mine from and they told me the same thing yesterday.

They recieved a shipment yesterday but it was not big enough to cover my order when the rep said "We are getting smaller batches then usual because the chips are made in Japan."

Is it true? no idea, not that I care, he said it will be here by April 30th which is the date they said when I placed my order so no spilled milk on this end just thought it was interesting he would openly say that.

Saristeguieta

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2008
I wish Apple products were made in Japan instead of being made by exploited and almost slave-like labor.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
My guess is it's just the manager making up an excuse he believes customers will accept. Target doesn't want people walking away thinking Target is not able to supply a hot item because they are way down on the supply chain list. Better to put the blame on something with which people will sympathize.

Apple doesn't say that at their stores, they just say , sold out, try again later.

serega

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Seattle
I was on the phone with sweetwater which is where I ordered mine from and they told me the same thing yesterday.

They recieved a shipment yesterday but it was not big enough to cover my order when the rep said "We are getting smaller batches then usual because the chips are made in Japan."

Is it true? no idea, not that I care, he said it will be here by April 30th which is the date they said when I placed my order so no spilled milk on this end just thought it was interesting he would openly say that.

I ordered from sweetwater too about 3 weeks ago but did not get any words from them.

elan123

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
I wish Apple products were made in Japan instead of being made by exploited and almost slave-like labor.
543.jpg

they are.... :confused:

Hobbes.

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
I ordered from sweetwater too about 3 weeks ago but did not get any words from them.

I ordered mine on April 8th. Spoke with them last week and this week.

I got a 32 Wifi Black. They received a shipment Monday but it wasn't large enough to cover all of my model but assured me i'd have it by the end of April.

This lines up with the fact that apple just changed availability online to 1-2 weeks, making me feel like sweet water should be getting a larger shipment next Monday to deliver to its customers next week.

But don't hesitate to give them a call and just ask them if there is a status update.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
UPDATE:

I went to another Target location on my lunch break at work today and saw the exact same sign.

The question is now: Is Target being more forthcoming than Apple about supply shortages?

Fun!

Saristeguieta

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2008
Pure speculation. Fact:

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/2...mates-drop-to-1-2-weeks-in-several-countries/

Do you know just about every single piece of electronics is made in China?

Apple doesn't run those companies.

It might be speculation or it might be fact; however, most companies that manufacture in China and other third world countries have the responsibility to oversee and supervise local operations.

I would gladly pay more for a product manufactured by labor with comparable working conditions as those experience by workers in Europe, North America and some parts of Asia.

And, it is not only Apple, there are many multinational companies that manufacture overseas and have little or no regard for what is going on with their manufacturing partners and how the workers are treated.

Search the Internet and you'll find hundreds of links to credible and not so credible sources where this unjust situation is depicted and reported. Finally, I have witnessed and experienced inhumane working conditions myself.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Some iPad components, like the batteries, are made in Japan and then sent to China for the final assembly process.

So yes, this is a reasonable explanation.

Re: Apple's shipping numbers. Apple will always keep the same amount of stock for themselves. They're likely using iPads originally allocated for Target and Best Buy to get their own ship times down first before they send them out to third parties.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I would gladly pay $50-$ 100 more for an iPad made here in the US.

This love affair with Chinese manufacturing needs to end eventually. Quality control is becoming more and more of an issue.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
That's lame.

Meanwhile, here in Japan, it's business as usual in all but the most affected region.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
That's lame.

Meanwhile, here in Japan, it's business as usual in all but the most affected region.
Getting better, that's true. I can get again my daily natto. But in the impacted area are still cycling power outages and the supply chains for some factories are not back to normal. See the news on Sony, Canon and car companies.

But I also wonder why we don't hear any word about a release to Japan on iPad2. Ok, sales might be down a bit but I'm sure it would still sale like everywhere else.

Ganbatte Nippon

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
I would gladly pay $50-$ 100 more for an iPad made here in the US.

This love affair with Chinese manufacturing needs to end eventually. Quality control is becoming more and more of an issue.

I agree on quality control, but let's be realistic. You'd be paying a LOT more than $50 or $100 extra. Probably about 2X.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Getting better, that's true. I can get again my daily natto. But in the impacted area are still cycling power outages and the supply chains for some factories are not back to normal. See the news on Sony, Canon and car companies.

But I also wonder why we don't hear any word about a release to Japan on iPad2. Ok, sales might be down a bit but I'm sure it would still sale like everywhere else.

Ganbatte Nippon

My daughter goes for natto, too. Me, I prefer fermented beverages more than fermented beans :)

The oddest shortage in the Tokyo area is toilet paper. Still haven't figured that one out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.