Target Says it Has No Plans Underway to Accept Apple Pay in Stores

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Target currently has "no plans" to support Apple Pay in its stores, a company spokesperson confirmed to MacRumors today.

Regarding a since-deleted AskTarget tweet that said Apple Pay was "awesome" and suggested support was forthcoming, the U.S. retail giant said "the information shared with this guest was incorrect."
We have no plans or work underway currently to make Apple Pay available in our stores.

We continue to offer Apple Pay for online purchases in the Target app. And while we are exploring mobile wallet opportunities for our stores, we have no updates on our plans to share at this time.
Target has been one of the most notable Apple Pay holdouts since the iPhone-based payments service launched in October 2014.

In May 2015, Target CEO Brian Cornell said the retailer would be "open-minded" about supporting additional payment systems like Apple Pay after implementing chip-and-PIN card support. Target began supporting chip-and-PIN cards in October 2015, but it has yet to accept Apple Pay in its stores.

Last month, Target confirmed it plans to launch its own mobile payment service in its stores this year. An earlier report said the retailer was leaning towards using QR code technology for the wallet app, rather than NFC, enabling customers to purchase goods by scanning a code at checkout akin to Walmart Pay.

Target was a founding member of the Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX), a consortium of retailers that planned to launch the indefinitely-postponed payments platform CurrentC. A number of MCX members have since reversed course and began to accept Apple Pay, including Best Buy and pharmacy chain Rite-Aid.

Target does support Apple Pay in its shopping app for in-app payments.

Article Link: Target Says it Has No Plans Underway to Accept Apple Pay in Stores

Reactions: phonenumberexpert

gaximus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2011
This is a bummer I was planning on switching all my shopping needs to Target when I first heard they were going to accept Apple Pay. I just thought my local store hadn't switched yet, I didn't realize they were only going to use it in the app. Guess I'll stay shopping at Walmart and Walgreens

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Target, Walmart, and Kroger have no plans to EVER accept nfc payments from ApplePay or AndroidPay that would exclude them from data collection. That customer identifying information is far too valuable for them to just give up. When I shop at those retailers I choose to just pay with cash or gift cards. Hysterically I often buy Target gift cards at Kroger for the free gas!

Reactions: mastercheif91

Derekuda

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2004
This is a bummer I was planning on switching all my shopping needs to Target when I first heard they were going to accept Apple Pay. I just thought my local store hadn't switched yet, I didn't realize they were only going to use it in the app. Guess I'll stay shopping at Walmart and Walgreens
This is about the dumbest thing ive read all morning? please to explain why you would change all your life shopping to a store that used Apple pay? Unless your getting a kickback or something, all your doing is giving apple even more money and driving up costs of products for the rest of us.
FYI, just use cash. It works EVERYWHERE!

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
This is just silly, but whatever. I'm fine with taking advantage of their free shipping online and never setting foot in the store again.

ghostface147

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Walmart doesn't offer Apple Pay either.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Well have fun never using Apple Pay at Walmart too. :rolleyes:

Mike

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Too bad, I would likely start shopping at Target again if they weren't so hostile toward Apple Pay.
You pick your stores based on how receptive they are to Apple Pay?

Everyone wants a piece of the pie. Apple didn't create Apple Pay for any sort of reason other than profit and the stores aren't trying to stonewall for any reason other than they don't want to hand this market to Apple.

That said, I wouldn't use Apple Pay in Target anyway unless they added support for the Debit RedCard.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
They're looking at using a QR code system like Walmart? I don't often shop at Walmart, but when I do, I always see that stupid thing and I ask the cashier every single time if anyone has ever used it. Not a single cashier has ever had anyone use it. Not one across locations in multiple cities hundreds of miles apart over the past year since it was first available! I'm not sure how that could be seen as anything but an abject failure. It's inevitable that they support these payment systems, so the sooner they can get their heads out of their tears the better. They're just wasting time and money setting up these alternative systems that are doomed to fail. Nobody wants a separate mobile wallet for every single store they might use! It's madness to think such a thing.

Reactions: pleomorph

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
You would think they would have been first on board back in 2014 after their hacking. It makes no sense. Use the more secure payment method available. Chips are just a pain because they are so slow.
Credit and debit Cards with chips are not slow. In Canada, I've been tapping to pay for over 5 years.

Reactions: vmistery

dwaltwhit

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
If these companies were confident in their qr based "solutions," they would have no problem allowing apple pay anyway, but their refusal to implement tells me they know their ideas are longshots. I guess they can't handle a little competition, but it's the customer that loses.

Reactions: TimSHB

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
and I don't want to be hounded (sometimes rudely) to save 5% on their dumb card.
My fiancée and I get the same song and dance every time we shop at our local Target (which is weekly since we do our grocery shopping there). While we have yet to encounter a rude Sales Associate, it's still a bit annoying to hear, "Are you paying with your Target RED Card to save 5% today?"

I'm sure management pushes it on the associates. But come on now.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I don't understand the QR-based payment systems.
For one thing, QR works with nearly every phone on the planet.

That's why airlines use them for electronic boarding passes... even on iPhones.

I agree though that offering multiple payment methods would be nicer for us. Perhaps all it would take, is for us to offer to let Target associate our token account with our address. Anyone willing to do so, could then use tokenized payment methods.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
This is about the dumbest thing ive read all morning? please to explain why you would change all your life shopping to a store that used Apple pay? Unless your getting a kickback or something, all your doing is giving apple even more money and driving up costs of products for the rest of us.
FYI, just use cash. It works EVERYWHERE!
Apple Pay is more secure than the chip-and-sign technology currently supported by Target. For a retailer with their security record, I would have thought they would value security a little more.

Now, using cash is just about the silliest thing I've heard all morning. Why would I voluntarily forgo the free built-in purchase protections provided by my card? Free extended warranty, return protection, theft insurance, price matching, etc. Plus, free cashback. Not to mention, cash is just about the least secure payment method available. If you lose it, it's gone forever; if it's stolen, it's gone forever; if you pay cash and the merchant swindles you... it's gone forever.

Derekuda

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2004
My fiancée and I get the same song and dance every time we shop at our local Target (which is weekly since we do our grocery shopping there). While we have yet to encounter a rude Sales Associate, it's still a bit annoying to hear, "Are you paying with your Target RED Card to save 5% today?"

I'm sure management pushes it on the associates. But come on now.
As someone who used to work at Target for a number of years while in college, I can confirm, YES management pushes selling Redcards VERY hard! At the time there was no "punishment" for not hitting quotas, but with the way that Target is slowly dying, i wouldn't be surprised if it did get implemented at some point. It saves them ALOT of money in cc fees.
Which brings me back to my first point, just use cash! Its accepted everywhere!

Reactions: vmistery