Tascam Fireone vs M-Audio 410

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ANTMUZ, May 23, 2007.

1. ANTMUZ macrumors member

So I'm looking at buying the Fireone or M-Audio 410 as an interface for my mac pro (Logic Pro) for a microphone and guitar.

Both seem to have 96kHz/24-bit audio resolution, but the Tascam says its planning support for 192kHz. The 410 looks a lot more sturdy, yet the Tascam has a lot of extra cool features, especially the jog wheel and shortcuts to Logic.

I'm quite torn between the two. Does anyone have any experience of either? Also it might help to know that I'm planning on buying M-Audio's Sputnik Microphone, is that likely to work any better with the 410 than Tascam?

I'd be grateful for any advice!

2. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

192 is more of a marketing hype at the moment. I think perhaps some studios work at that insane quality, but it's overkill for most.

I have a FW410 and it is nice. It works with Pro Tools M-powered also, which is a plus. It is only a 2-IN box, though m-audio advertises it as a 4-in box. You can only have 2 inputs at one time. It is rock solid and I have had no problems.

Alesis and Presonus make some good inexpensive boxes too.

If you are looking to spend $700 on a mic, you might check out other companies than m-audio. Ones that specialize in microphones. neumann, rode, AKG, behringer, etc.

3. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

ANTMUZ,

scottlinux gave you good avise. 96 kHz sampling rate is plenty for for most people are doing.

- Martin