Tascam US-122MKII

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by greystone60, Jan 6, 2011.

1. greystone60 macrumors newbie

I used to be a professional musician and recently decided to get back into doing some demo tracks. I have an fully loaded MacBook Pro with Garage Band. I took the GarageBand course, bought a little M-Audio Keyboard and procuced two original tunes; great! Now however, I want to go a bit further so I went into B&H Electronics in NYC and bought the Tascam (model above). The sales person told me that I would be able to plug my Yamaha and Kruzweil keyboards into the unit and that the voices from these instruments could be recorded into GarageBand. Same with the microphone and my harmonic decoder. So far, the only thing I have bee able to do is record my Ovation Guitar. I cannot get the device to recognize my keyboards or my microphone. I am ready to return it. Does anyone out there have any experience on how to make this device work?

Thank you for your responses.

2. paolo- macrumors 6502a

How are you plugging them in? If you can get the guitar to work, every thing else should. You should plug the line out from your keyboard to the audio inputs of your tascam. For the mic, it should go into the mic in.

As for returning it, it's not a bad idea. It sounds as though you just plugged things wrong if you can get it to record your guitar. But tascam interfaces are a pain in the ass. Really, I had the L version of the interface and it wouldn't work when I wanted it to. I had to reinstall the drivers countless times, plug and unplug it, restart my computer. And apparently, I'm not the only one to get all of those problem, there's a thread about in the board. They never release new drivers and usually the updates aren't that better. I just hope I can save you the trouble.

3. greystone60 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tascam mkii

Paolo,

Thank you for your reply. I did everything you suggested-again and even wrote it all down so I could try permutations. Bottom line, it will recognize the guitar input but not a microphone n:confused:or my two keyboards. I have the unit with me today ready to return to B&H. appreciate your help!
    GD

4. dwwave macrumors newbie

Hi,

This is a 4 page (or more) thread about a Tascam Unit The Model US-122

Link on this forum here=

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=385737

There is another and I will post it (just the link after this post)

I have one and did not try the USB powered Hub as my imac is
    new as of late summer and that unit is USB 1.1 anyway

US-122 (which is Silver and Blue in most cases) and a earlier model than yours, Your last post , I agree with, return and get a A/I that is keeping up with drivers etc , has the inputs and outputs You need and consider having one that is not only USB or FW powered but has a DC power supply. B&H has a huge list
    of USB & FW as well as PCI and is it PCIE? A/Interfaces (I have one of their recent catalogs and was recently on their site
    check out sweetwater.com as well (they have a Buying guide online (and in their last (huge) Winter 2011 Catalog which they will mail You quickly (call them and request or emai off their site) starting on page 308 is "Helping You Compare Interfaces"

Firewire, USB and Card Interfaces, page 309 is a entire page listing Manufacturer, Item ID, page its on, Ins&/Outs/max resolution, XLR inputs, TRS ins, HI-Z inputs, SPDIF info, MIDI in/out (so basically also Analog inputs, Digital In/Outs, Analog OUts Headphone info
    + extras , special featues and prices and thenpages 310-326 are the A/I's
    (more online and broken down by type USB, FW Card
    (Its under computer recording, Audio Interfaces, select Type
    I do then view all price Low to High ) and all info, pictures of front, back, sides are present, user reviews, also New Gear section (check Computer Audio and Recording) and Deals (and You can view all or by 7-8 types (guitar, computer audio, recording etc) they have a forum, and free shipping, no tax

(** with any Company, check return policies as more and more Audio Interfaces come with Software and if opened and registered You :possibly" be charged a restock fee" and in some hard nosed companies no returns at all if siftware opened
    (I spoke with one store (In New York) and they blamed it on piracy, their return policy was so extreme, I would not buy anything there) Sweetwater is very customer friendly and I have read good things about B&H **)

dwwave :apple::rolleyes::):confused::D:eek:

link=

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=385737

5. dwwave macrumors newbie