Task list

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by halisray, Feb 8, 2010.

1. halisray macrumors regular

Are there any good programs to help with things to do? I know that there is the Things app which costs like $50 USD (pretty expensive)... are there any others that are really good? Or do you recommend me paying for Things?

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

There are easily hundreds of programs that could work to manage to-do lists. Mail is serviceable. Folks like TaskPaper, it's simple, cheap, and it has a neat hotkey that lets you enter info from any program.

TaskCoach is free, though it is a bit of a resource hog.

My Mac came with OmniOutliner which I use for just about all my to-do needs. And nearly every word processor, from TextEdit, through Bean and up to Pages or Word can handle the basics.

And of course, Things, comes highly touted, if expensive.

What are you looking for specifically?

mt

3. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

Just something for me to right down tasks and for it to notify me days beforehand or on the day or whatever you know...
    basically something like Things.. just not $50 USD haha

4. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

iCal

6. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

I was wondering when someone was gonna say this :) It's good, and free.

7. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

yeah but i want something i can like check off u kno

8. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

10. juliainor macrumors member

It really depends on how complex your needs are. If you need a basic list to check things off and "brain dump" into to be sure nothing is forgotten, I think I'd just stick with the to-dos in iCal or Mail.app. They are basic, but fully integrated, no separate program to launch, and easy.

If your needs are more complex, though, and you're dealing with projects, scheduled future events, recurring events and in general just need more robust task management, I do think Things is great.

I balked at the price to begin with, as it seemed overly simplistic to me at first. I downloaded the trial, tried it, watched some screencasts about it to get an idea of how people use it and I quickly started to really appreciate it. I also tried OmniFocus, the Hit List, Midnight Inbox and I'm sure a couple others. OF and MI were just too GTD-structured for my workflow. The Hit List was pretty good, but with no iPhone app and still being in beta... just not at my comfort level for an app that is "mission critical" for me.

11. futureswitcher macrumors member

futureswitcher

I used to use Todoist - it's a great free web app that handles nested lists. The only problem with it for me is that it doesn't have iphone integration. Since I have an iPod Touch, i couldn't rely on the mobile version of the website because I wanted to add tasks when I wasn't connected to wifi and have them sync later.

I currently use a combination of SimpleNote on the iPod and JustNotes on my mac. They're really simple (just a text box - no to-do list features) but sync together nicely and get the job done for me.

12. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Search macupdate.com

mt

13. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Why not just use the to do list in iCal? or Mail

14. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

CheckOff, perhaps?

15. Nikh macrumors regular

You can search for to-do or todo at Mac App Store, there is a bunch of applications now.