Task Manager and Note applications that sync to desktop

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jnyepu, Aug 27, 2008.

1. jnyepu macrumors member

I have spent a couple of hours combing posts and haven't found a clear answer on either of these.

I want a note application and a to-do/task application for my iPhone, and I want to be able to sync those iPhone applications with equivalents on my MBP where they can be edited and modified, and vice versa.

I have Entourage and would be willing to use it, but would like to avoid that Microsoft app if possible. If not, so be it.

Of course, apps that would sync with iCal would be ideal, but I guess those don't exist.

If there are third party apps that need to be on the MBP with iPhone equivalents, that can speak to each other, that would be great.

I love this phone but need it to be more functional to justify keeping it.:eek:

Thanks for any advice in advance.

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

3. onemac macrumors newbie

Great program

Nozbe.com

Is really a GTD project management web app. But works great on the iphone, mac, and work PC.

4. jnyepu thread starter macrumors member

Appreciate the responses so far. Any other solutions folks have come across?

5. Rigsby macrumors regular

Personally, I think this thread should have closed after philglider's post. Things is fantastic, and still isn't finished! Unlike most betas, however, it's stable and syncs like a dream.

The other app you might want to look at it OmniFocus. Like Things it is geared towards a GTD methodology. I found the GTD functionality obtrusive, and Things much more flexible and elegant, but it's a matter of personal preference.

I have both apps and no hesitation in recommending Things.

6. jnyepu thread starter macrumors member

Dumb question -- Things and OmniFocus both look like great to-do apps, but what about a sync-able note application (can these apps perform that function as well) or is there another app out there I should consider? I've read the description for both apps and it's probably me but I'm missing any reference to a syncable note function within these apps (or can these apps be used as a note application as well?).

Thanks again, both great recommendations!

7. ec51 macrumors 6502

To Sync Leopard's Mail App To Do's with the Mail app on your iPhone do the following:

First, you would have to have the Mail app (mac) set-up with an email address, I personally do not use Mail for my gmail but, since I now have Mobile Me it actually automatically setup my Mail with my Mobile Me account.

In mail, if you click on To Do's and then on the left, click on the email address you have associated with Mail - NOT on "My Mac" and you create a To Do while in the email address it will be in your phone, also in the Mail app - it will be called "Apple To Do's."

8. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Sorry could you explain that? I am having trouble with your instructions.

9. Marvin1379 macrumors 6502

Evernote is the best I've tried so far. Seamless sync to mac or pc. Photo notes, voice notes, etc. Nice features and they update it too!

10. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

+1 on Evernote

Being able to update, view and use my notes/todo's anywhere I am and on any type of platform is a great asset. I can make/edit anywhere and if I want a more functional checklist, I can on my PC and then sync and edit it on my iPhone.

just my .03 cents worth

11. ec51 macrumors 6502

Do you have an email address linked with the Mail app on your mac?

If you do, click on TO DO's at the top of the mail app.

Then on the left-sided panel you will see REMINDERS. Under there, it will have "TO DO" and underneath that will be your email address and "ON MY MAC" - create a new To Do in your email account's section. This should sync to your phone provided you have this email on your phone.

It is possible this is a Mobile Me only thing. I have Mobile Me and it automatically setup in the Mail app on my mac after I set it up and I also have my me.com address on my phone. The To Do's sync....

12. Rigsby macrumors regular

It works with any IMAP account. The tasks and notes are stored as mail messages in the relevant folders on the account.

Unfortunately, while OS X Mail.app formats these appropriately - if amateurishly - the iPhone makes no attempt to distinguish them from any other mail and they appear as some sort of unfinished email.

13. Marvin1379 macrumors 6502

Sure this syncs the To Do subjects, but that's it...there's no order, no due date, no option to complete the to do. It's too crude. Apple needs to step it up and enable naive syncing of functional tasks.

14. kylelong100 macrumors newbie

i have two programs for your questions

i use appogo todo for tasks; very good, can sync with ical and use jott to use telephone to enter tasks as well.

For note-taking, I actually found mobilefinder to be very useful as you can edit and make text files. Also, the ability to make folders and categories is priceless for a two dollar application. Not to mention you can bring your pdf books and your other files to iphone and read them.