Task manager. Things? Wunderlist? OmniFocus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by diegobgr, Dec 26, 2011.

1. diegobgr macrumors 6502

Hi!

I need a task manager.

One of the most important feature that I need is the capacity to sync between iMac with the iOS version.

Which one do you use?

2. ozengo macrumors newbie

ozengo

why I am using omnofocus (again)

Hi

I am now using omnifocus and have just written a blog post explaining my choice and the strengths and limitations of OF as I see them.

Go to http://purplezengoat.com/

Hope you find something that works for you!

ozengo

3. seedidea macrumors newbie

4. stevelam macrumors 65816

wunderlist. crossplatform compability and cloud backup.

i found stuff like things/omnifocus and other GTD apps to be needlessly complex. sorry but if you need to watch 20+ video tutorials on how to use an organizational/listing app, then something is wrong.

5. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

I'm currently using omnifocus (ipad, iphone, macs) mainly due to its depth and breadth of functions. Price is hefty but I treat is as a good investment.

6. meget macrumors member

Using things for work stuff... :)

But soon there is going to be Wunderkit, and as soon as it is out i will move over to it. Stuff does all i need, priorities etc.

7. Nikh macrumors regular

There is a bunch of task apps available on the Mac App Store, search for something like 'todo' or 'task' there.

Almost all of them have trial version so you can try it, and the iOS version as well.

8. EthanMiller macrumors member

I'm a fan of Todo (Appigo) (http://www.appigo.com/todo). Syncs through iCloud, DropBox, their online service, or locally. I've tried a bunch, Todo is the first I've really liked.

9. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

The Hit List. Can't recommend it enough. And it scales beautifully from simple usage to complex tasks.

10. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

BusyCal is worth it for the repeating ToDos. I've set Lion to put Dashboard back where it was with SL (a floating layer) and I've got a great widget called DoBeDo which can be opened multiple times to show a range of todo lists. In fact that's where I make and view my ToDos mostly.

It's a shame that Reminders on iOS is rendered less useful by the lack of sensible sorting, but perhaps they'll fix that.

I know Omnifocus gets great reviews. I found it too much and gave up. Hope you find something that works for you.

11. sananda macrumors 68020

I use Things. It's great but the syncing between iDevices and Macs is a bit of a pain right now.

12. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Thanks for posting this - I was struggling with the lack of multiple contexts/tags in OmniFocus and searching for some alternatives.

I think this might be a winner - but I have 2 weeks to find out. I notice that I immediately tried to make it ultra complex from the few hours i spent in OmniFocus....

I do wish on the quick entry thing there was a way to enter "notes" or something. I'd like to enter the name of the task - then copy/paste the guts of the assignment. i'm hoping i'm missing something, but if not I can make it work.

The price seems a bit high - but I'm comparing it to the academic pricing I can get on OmniFocus too. However, if it saves my butt from forgetting about another quiz - then it will be a small price right? LOL!

13. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Another Vote for OmniFocus

I use OmniFocus with my Mac, iPad, and iPhone. Never had a problem syncing and once you get through the learning curve and set things up the way you like them, it is truly a delight to work with. Yes it is expensive, but when something works the way it is supposed to, and the way you do, then I don't care what the cost is.

I have tried Todo, but syncing always gets messed up in someway. OmniFocus it just seems to do it flawlessly. Many of the other to do apps I've tried were also good, but failed in someway that OmniFocus has always shined through. I've tried many different programs. Todo, Toodledo, 2Do, Pocket Informant, Wunderlist.

I do use BusyCal, mainly for the calendar functions and I do have my repeating tasks in there as well. My main task manager though is OmniFocus. If you go with OmniFocus or want a netter insight of how the program works I highly recommend watching the tutorials on the Omni Groups website. I decided to go with OmniFocus after watching those videos, plus I believe that they offer a 30 day free trial for the Mac version.

14. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Another vote for OmniFocus, amazing task management application. I also recommend new Omnifocus users take a look at David Sparks, 3 Ninja Tricks screencasts that go through the whole process of getting the most out of the App.

15. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I like the Appigo ToDo apps as well, but I sync them with ToodleDo.com

Things is a really nice suite of apps, but it's a shame that they've never managed to implement a sync solution that doesn't require you to be on the same wifi network.

16. sigamy macrumors 65816

+1 for Appigo Todo. Full featured iPhone app with repeating tasks, projects, special task types and you can follow GTD if you want.

The Mac app is decent and will improve as these guys do regular updates.

Todo provides multiple sync options. This app had sync over a year before Things.

The Hit List looks beautiful but $50 is a bit high for a list making app IMHO.

17. blatopilot macrumors regular

I use Evernote. After trying many GTD applications, most of them were not helpful and sometimes worse.

Evernote requires you to know what you want, but it is cross platform, available online, on the iphone and has capabilities limited only to what you want to set up.

There is the data quota, but I haven't hit it yet...and if I did, I'd pay. I have a notebook for GTD and with the Evernote web clipper for Chrome things are falling into place.

I made peace with never finding exactly what i wanted, so I like being able to create it myself.

http://www.evernote.com/

18. EnzoAmata macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

I'm looking over all the possible options but my main feature I'm looking for which Apple offers with Reminders, but it's just short of functionality. Which of the GTD Apps are you guys aware of which have location functionality other then ToDo?

19. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

It's not cheap, but it is one of the best full featured GTD Apps out at the moment, OmniFocus by the Omni Group has location based functionally for it's iPhone App. http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnifocus-iphone/

20. EnzoAmata macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

I just started using Wunderkit as it has repeat reminders, I done a search and it seems like location iOS 5 location notifications is a highly requested feature - I might hold out using Wunderkit for now until Mountain Lion comes out and see if Apple ups the functionality of Reminders, if by then both haven't gotten better I'll cough up for OmniFocus.

21. LxHunter, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

LxHunter macrumors 6502

I use OmniFocus - does not have group shared tasks like Wunderlist or Wunderkit - but not a feature I need.

For an inexpensive and simple solution take a look at iProcrastinate for iOS and OS X see: http://www.craigotis.com/