Task mgnt/To do Lists Apps

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by scariaga, Jul 13, 2008.

1. scariaga macrumors regular

Trying to decide on a good task mgnt app for my new iPhone. I've looked at all the productivity apps and there seems to be a few good ones. The best ones seem to be "Things" and "Omni Focus". Anybody have experiences with these apps? any recommendations on these or others?

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I'm waiting for one that syncs with iCal. It can't be that hard to do and I don't understand why Apple hasn't provided this so far. Palm did it in 1996!

3. astonish macrumors newbie

I have been using Things on the mac and its absolutely perfect. I have tried so many ways from text files, to big clunky apps, but the tagging and scheduling of Things is the sweet spot for me.

They have just released a "Things" version for the App Store which looks to contain all the major functionality of the full app. Once they get sync'ing between the two in this will be a killer to-do/planning/mental note app.

4. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

ya was kind of leaning towards things since it seems to be quite in depth but also cheaper then Omni. $10 doesn't seem too bad for an app like this.

5. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I've been using Splash Shopper to manage my "To Do" lists. And of course to manage any other kind of list. I had the desktop version before getting it in the app store for my iPhone. :D

6. lesliegolf macrumors regular

I am a big fan of Remember the Milk (www.rememberthemilk.com). The iPhone app Todo (the one that costs money) feeds into RTM really well. Im quite happy with it.

7. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

OmniFocus is a killer app! I downloaded it on Thursday and the location awareness, the syncing to the main app, the ease of use. It is simply incredible for a 1.0 release. I had not used OmniFocus before this but will be buying the Mac version once my 14 days are up, this app makes the real one useful for me.

I cannot recommend OmniFocus enough it is quite simply an incredible little app all by it self and pairing with the main app is unbeatable!

8. hhlee macrumors 6502

evernote is pretty good though its geared more towards general notes rather than a strict todo list.

9. jeremihad macrumors newbie

I second that. The only downside is that you need a Pro RTM account which costs $25/year but it is well worth it. Todo also syncs with Toodledo for free, but either way, the syncing is a nifty little feature that makes this application well worth the $10.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I've looked at this application. Its by Appigo, I'm so close to buying it, however, they don't have repeating tasks. I have some things I need to do on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc. basis and it stinks to have to enter each task separately. I've emailed them, but haven't heard back from them.

11. atomheartmother macrumors regular

ReQall seems to be pretty decent for being free.

12. MrMinor macrumors 6502

I really like Reqall too. I love how it transcribes notes for you. That comes in handy when driving.

13. robbyx macrumors 6502a

OmniFocus!!!

OmniFocus. 1000%. Things doesn't sync yet and neither the Things desktop nor iPhone app is complete. It does look good for sure, but you're basically paying of the privilege of being an alpha/beta tester. I'd rather go with a product that's stable, from a developer with a long track record, and, well, does what you want on day 1!

That said, OmniFocus is a bit obtuse. But, I'll take it over any of the other Mac GTD/Task apps any day.

14. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

15. twinsdad macrumors member

ReQall doesn't seem to have the ability to set reminders like the internet version does. The internet version allows you to send reminders via email, tm, im, etc. It's pretty cool as a reminder type app but neither one is really viable as a list manager IMO.

16. Xtal macrumors member

Remember The Milk has an iPhone web interface - is a native app really necessary?

17. jsgreen macrumors 6502

+1 for SplashShopper - have used it for the past 18 months on my Treo to manage various to do lists (mostly groceries and gift ideas though).

18. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

good point, I did get the feeling that Omni may be a little more tested and true. I'm not sure if I'll bother having the application on my MBP or not so syncing is not necessarily something I need, although maybe some day.

19. Link2999 macrumors 6502

20. robbyx macrumors 6502a

If you don't care about syncing, OmniFocus might be overkill. It's a great app on the iPhone, but, as others have pointed out, there are quite a few great apps out there. I just assumed that you'd want to sync between your iPhone and Mac and, for that, I think OmniFocus is the clear, clear winner.

21. EmptyPockets macrumors regular

Is the app available offline?

22. jeremihad macrumors newbie

No, which is why I purchased the stand-alone app. I occasionally travel overseas, where I won't have data access, so for me buying an app is better.

23. EmptyPockets macrumors regular

You purchased what stand alone app?

24. The Mav macrumors newbie

I'm curious what stand alone app you purchased as well.

I have Things, and it works great. Is that a stand alone?

25. Xtal macrumors member

Todo by Appigo ($9.99) supports sync with Remember The Milk, however, the RTM support is incomplete (for example, no smartlist syncing). Word on the street is that there's an official RTM iPhone app in the works, but it isn't available yet.