Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
I just tried to move some critical data from one drive to another and the operation froze. The folder showed up in the destination but then the copy wouldn't start. What was the problem? Apple apparently set its automatic reminder for the Software Update application to a higher priority than the user task. After a few seconds of being frozen, the folder disappeared from its destination and the Software Update window appeared.

Why is a background application more important than a file copy that was initiated by the user? What was so important that it had to interrupt my file copy? A Safari point update, something about Digital Camera RAW Compatibility for iPhoto and Aperture 3 (neither of which I use), and an iLife Support point update (which I also don't use). Is there a way to tell OS X that whatever I'm doing with copying or moving files should always have a higher priority than any background tasks?

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I'm not sure that your take on the situation is correct.

What happens when you move a folder again? Does it work as it should?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Why is a background application more important than a file copy that was initiated by the user? What was so important that it had to interrupt my file copy?

Likey this is not about a task blocking or task priority. Some times the system must take control of the screen from other tasks. Entring a passwork is the best example, once a password entry form is on-screen no other task can except input, this prevents you from typig a password into some other form. I'm sure what yu saw was some logical thing like this. Perhaps the software update needed to lock some folders so as to ensure an consistent scan. It was something like that.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
I'm not sure that your take on the situation is correct.

My take is that Software Update shouldn't be interrupting anything unless the user has specifically asked for it. I didn't ask for Software Update that I can remember. It was setup to run automatically by default when I first setup my user profile. I've now disabled Software Update from checking for updates by itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.