Taskbar for the OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by erifneerg, Nov 7, 2008.

1. erifneerg macrumors member

I just found this awesome little that that has settle my desire to jump back to windows when i saw the new Taskbar for Windows 7. The app is Fantasktik. http://www.docklandsoft.com/fantasktik/ In it's first release, it didn't support space but as of about 2months ago it has. I do like the preview of the window but it not too crazy about it.
    I love the dock (had one on winXP), but there just a few to many things not working they way I'd like. First thing that comes to mind, It doesn't show you all the windows open of an app but only that app is running.
    Another the osx doesn't do well is the alt+tab and the lack of window support. I know there's Witch but it sometimes has a delay before shows the list appears. some that works for me is using Witch for cmd + ` window switch so i can get an windows list.

yes, i know you use use Expose then tab to see all the windows but that only in one space and with all the space visable the windows get much smaller and hard for me to see them.

btw, anyone who trashes this app for being too windows like, well go look at KDE and Gnome.

Anyone else have any good tips on windows switch? or maybe some other task bar stuff?

2. MBuco12 macrumors member

its an interesting looking app, but it kinda seems to be overkill with the top menu, dock and this taskbar. also, all 3 take up too much space when just using the macbook's 13.3 inch screen

3. erifneerg thread starter macrumors member

you might be right. I got a 15 inch screen but i have both my dock and taskbar to hide now. So far I've been using FanTaskik and quicksilver for he most part. I did read you can also hide the top menu bar with a hack but it's app specific.

4. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I checked out the app, but the Dock fits all my needs. I understand switchers have a big issue with there being no "taskbar" so might help them. I personally would just tell people to get used to and understand the Dock. It is much cleaner than a clogged up "taskbar".

5. erifneerg thread starter macrumors member

yea, i agree with that. all i really want is an easy way to get to other windows of other apps that I'm not using. Hence my look into Witch. the delay is a real deal breaker for me. I can't even seem to under when it happens. Long list or Short list, it always happens. kinda sad but i feel like that an app that would need some kind of heavy fixing.

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Try using keyboard shortcuts.

CMD+TAB to switch between open applications.
    CMD+` to switch windows in an application.

Joining those together, it does increase your productivity.

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Those in addition to spaces and expose help out a ton. I have apps assigned to spaces it's easy as all get out.

I made the transition WITHOUT the need for a task bar addon since the above 2 in conjunction with keyboard shortcuts make life much much easier.

8. erifneerg thread starter macrumors member

cmd + ` give me too much infomation at once. I just want that list. I know i might be being picky but i just don't get why the two command are separated.
    I feel like it can be really confusing to new users where there window is. Actually i know b/c it confused me and recently my brother till i told him.
    you cmd+tab to ur app but it's minize and it's not there. cmd+` brings it back but seriously?! why separate commands?!

9. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Eh?

CMD+TAB does not minimise an application, you are just switching applications.
    CMD+` switches windows within an application.

The two commands are separate because they are different! Switching applications and switching windows in an application, why is that so hard to understand?

10. erifneerg thread starter macrumors member

ok, i mean when the window is minized, cmd+tab doesn't bring it up.

CMD + ' only works within the app your currently using. I would like a flip threw any window of any app. Expose only work in the current space you're using. expose then tab only flips threw apps not there window. within spaces, tab only goes threw each space.

11. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

CMD+TAB won't bring up a minimised window, and neither will CMD+` because the window is minimised. This allows you to flick through other windows without having to keep skipping past the window that is minimised.

CMD+` flicks between windows in an application, I've said that twice already. So it obviously will only happen for the selected application.

I don't use Spaces.