Taskbar in OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zbrown00, May 15, 2009.

1. zbrown00 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm about 2 months into my Mac and enjoying it so far. A complaint I have is that when I'm on the web and click a link that opens a new window, that window covers the other. In Windows, I could go to the bottom of the screen to the taskbar and click on the other browser window to view it. In OS X, I'm having to minimize or move one window to see the one behind it and then vice versa.

Is there any way I can see what browser windows I have open other than minimizing or resizing them?

(Yes, I know I can right click to open into a tab. Sometimes I forget.)

Thanks everyone

2. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Use Exposé. :) Set it as a corner hotspot in the System Preferences area.

3. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

http://docklandsoft.com/

Check out Fantasktik if you want a nice taskbar.

However, I recommend using command ` to cycle through your Safari windows, or Exposé as previously mentioned.

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

+1 on that. Expose will show everything you have open on one screen, not just browsers if you chose. You have mouse button options too.

Attached Files:

• ex.jpg
      ex.jpg
      File size:
      94.3 KB
      Views:
  5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Sometimes it's easier to use Ctrl -left click on the mouse - there's an equivalent one for the mac - saves fiddle with the right click menu :) Not sure for most, but usually the Ctrl or equivalent key is easily accessible with the left hand. Second nature for some I guess, just resting the left little finger on it whilst not typing.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Another thing you can try is to click-and-hold (or right/ctrl-click) the icon in the dock. In the pop-up you'll get a list of open windows to choose from (among other things).

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Option+click is the shortcut to open in a new tab, if that's what you were referring to.

Alternatively, I have my Safari set up to open all new windows in new tabs. You can do this by opening a Terminal window and running:

defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

You can still right-click and open a new window if you want to.

8. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

You know if you click with the wheel/middle of the mouse, it opens in a new tab? Or you can click window>then select the window.

9. zbrown00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank everyone

Thanks to all of you! Lots of options that I never knew about. I found that if I click my wheel on my mouse it opens the Expose function. Thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated.