Tate Modern's extension gets green light

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by edesignuk, Apr 3, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Personally I find most of the content of the gallery to be modern art *****, the building is easily the best bit. Now it looks to be getting even better and more interesting/impressive.

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That's cool and all but I wonder how many residents of Southwark council are really pleased to be paying for (more than half of) that. As if our council taxes in london boroughs are not high enough, they need to go and spend hundreds of millions of pounds on a modern art gallery? It seems like kind of a piss-take under the circumstances. Though I suppose it may be a good thing in the long run. I digress.

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Where does it say the council are paying?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Love the existing building. Not 100% about the new one, looks a bit odd. I'm pretty sure the entire cost will be funded by the Tate, perhaps with some Lottery funding...

You can read more about it here. Nothing I can see about funding though...

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Oh. :eek: I don't know. That was the impression I got. Seems I could be mistaken. Ooops.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I can't find any up-to-date references but it appears that the LDA (London Development Agency) is providing some funding for this (around £7M). Whilst this is tax-funded agency this is exactly what it's supposed to do...

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

^ That's not so bad and yes, it seems like a reasonable use of funds.

My knee-jerk reaction was to thinking that the majority of the funding was to come from Southwark council (taxes) and that seemed like a hefty amount and a strange thing to do in an economic crisis. I'm glad to hear that's not the case.

8. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Looks like a nice extension. Great museum and you can't beat the price. Loved all the Picasso's when I visited. Cannot wait to go back.

9. djellison macrumors 68020

Agreed.

10. remmy macrumors 6502a

It does look nice but just wonder about the size, it seems to loom over the old building.