Tattoo Help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by acfusion29, Nov 5, 2009.

1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

So I want to get a tattoo down my left leg, so it reads like this:

E
    X
    A
    M
    P
    L
    E

I want to put something that I won't regret of course.

Since I play basketball and have a high vertical leap, I wanted to put like SPRING but I realized it sounded pretty stupid lol :p

2 others ones that came through my mind were leaper and hops, but hops is too short of a word.

It doesn't necessarily have to be something to do with my jumping ability, but that's what I'm looking for.

If it's not something related to that, then probably something that can motivate me every time I look at it/step on the court.

Maybe tenacity?

I'm really not sure, there are so many words out there that I can relate to. Help me give me some suggestions!

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

how about hoops or 3 pointer? or lay-up? slam dunk? slam dunk machine?

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

How about…

T
    A
    T
    T
    O
    O
    S

S
    U
    C
    K

I think that’d probably be the best choice. :rolleyes:

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

whatever you do, make sure you get it done by a good tattoo artist or it can turn out nasty.

5. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Looking for one word.

Ok..

Ya for sure... My cousin had some really nice tattoo's done up, will probably go where he went.

6. Buzz Bumble Guest

Then do not get a tattoo at all. You'll almost certainly regret it more and more as you get older ... an 87 year old with a basketball words tattooed on their leg is going to look like a major idiot in the retirement home.

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it sounds like you will not be happy with the tattoo. tattoos need to mean something and really be important to you. it sounds like you just want a tattoo. that's the worst reason to get one.
    there is a tattoo place I passed that offers free tattoo's one day a week. but you don't get a choice of where an d what. that's A great deal NOT

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Says who?

9. nonocei macrumors member

^^ A lot of people get them just to have one. Not necessarily meaningful.

You can make a list of words to help decide.

My honest opinion is to wait awhile and think about it, like a year or so. If you still want something after waiting all that time then go for it. Some people's preferences and taste change over time...

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Since it's going to be permanent*, and you'll still be looking at it on your wrinkly self at 70, I'd say it's a fair warning that you should really know exactly what you want and why.

Everyone is different, I guess maybe some people wouldn't care.

*save for painful and scaring laser removal.

11. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

Not a fan of tattoos but I understand how some folks may be into them. If you're not sure what you want I'd say hold off on it for awhile. If someone posts a fancy word like "roundballer" or something is it really going to be meaningful? Find something you like then sit on it a few months and re-evauluate.

12. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

In small type:

If you can read this I'm dunking on your ass!

13. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

It sounds like athletics are important to you and you are looking for something to both represent and motivate you. My advice would be to recognize that only a rare few actually get to make a living in sports so I would pick something that will motivate that competitive side of you for the rest of your life regardless of however long you stay in sports.

Words and phrases that immediately come to mind would be things like DRIVE, FINISH, PERSEVERE, WORK, NEVER QUIT, ENDURANCE, DETERMINATION, TENACITY, DEDICATION, COMMITTMENT, DEVOTION, THERE IS NO TRY, etc.

Regardless of what people say here, always remember that tattoo's are personal. Sure people get them for varying reasons, but if you want it to maintain meaning to you throughout your life then be patient, give it serious thought, and do your research. There is a big difference in getting a tattoo for yourself and getting it for any other reason. (to look cool, it's a fad, for someone else, etc.)

Keep us posted and post a pic if you do get it done. :)

14. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

You don't know me... so don't jump to conclusions.

I think tenacity is a word that truly explains who I am.

Thank you for your input... and yes you are right.

Frankly, I could care less what people here have to say. It's their opinion, but I asked for words that have meaning not how I'll look when I'm all wrinkly...

I have given this tattoo a lot of thought (it's been at least 2 years). My goal is to get it done by the summer.

15. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

How old are you? I'm just curious because I'd go with a word that both describes your personality and can be related to basketball. I think tattoos relating to athletics can really become depressing if that person doesn't reach their potential or make a career out of it. I played college football and stayed away from any such tattoos, but a few of my friends had them and when they didn't make it to the NFL they regretted it because the tattoo was basically only related to football and couldn't be extrapolated to fit any other aspect of their lives.

I have a tattoo that roughly translates to "indomitable will" that fit both my athletics and my personality. Sort of a reminder to myself that I can do anything. I used to use it as motivation during a workout to continuing pushing myself (and still use it for that) but I also look at it anytime I feel myself giving in, being lazy, contemplating quitting. You don't have to get something that means a whole heck of a lot, but I'd suggest it. I have 3 tattoos and they all have a lot of meaning, but that's just me.

16. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

If you're getting inked there are some points you should keep in mind:

How are you going to feel about it in the future? Is it something you're going to look down at in 20 years and say to yourself WTF was I thinking?

Being sure of that if you decide you still want it in 20 years what about your health? Maintaining a tattoo doesn't stop once the scabs heal, if it placed in a spot that may start to sag or you gain or lose signifigant amounts of weight its appearance will alter and you'll look down at it one day and say WTF is that thing??

Always make sure you know exactly what you're getting. You can give an artist an idea of what you want and have them draft it but look it over very carefully for any extra artistic expression on the artists part you don't want to look down years later and notice some hidden penis in the picture, evaluate the paper proofs thoroughly before giving consent to apply the needle to skin and keep a copy of the design should it wind up in court if the idiot decides to alter it.

I design my own ink and find reputable shop artists who won't haggle to put in their two cents worth of design ideas for those various reasons (unless its just a matter of the ink bleeding over from too fine of detail I'm unwilling to compromise my designs) because I've seen others experience these little nightmares--it costs more but I'm happier knowing exactly what's on my skin and controlling how it will change over time.

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

no I don't but I know about tattoo's and and I know something like 80% of people are not happy with their tattoo's. if after two years you still don't know what you want your not ready for a tattoo. Just my opinion based on experience and observation. if you find the right thing you will know it you won't have to ask here.

18. chown33 macrumors 604

Of all the suggestions so far, I think I like "EXAMPLE". When people ask you what it means, you can say you wanted to set an example for others to follow. "EXEMPLAR" would be even better.

And if you want to find out whether you'll regret it, draw it in permanent ink (Sharpie) and let it wear off. If you find you don't like explaining it after a few days, then you'll know it was wrong.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Don't follow the advice in the second paragraph, if anyone figured out it was sharpie they'd think you are a douche.

20. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Um actually that was a pretty good idea.

Seeing as how the entire idea behind ANY tattoo should be how YOU like it and not what others think...it makes sense to me.

I guess you just don't like tats or people who talk about wanting one but are clueless?

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

On the contrary, I do tattoo art as a hobby. :) Wearing sharpie on your leg is still douche material.

22. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

It doesnt matter if people see its sharpie. What if the OP told people it was sharpie, and was just trying it out to see how he likes it? There is a difference though if he is lying about it. But if he is honest, its a great idea.

Better than doing it then hating it, then feeling like a douche himself.

Side note: are you a tatto artist, or do you draw tattoos for people to get tattooed? Just wondering.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I draw tattoos and then tattoo them. My last tattoo was about 2 years ago though so I am a bit out of practice in that area of art.

I was referring to if he was playing it off as a real tat and then people noticed it was sharpie. My bad.

24. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Thats awesome! Did you undergo the apprenticeship, or are you self taught? Ive been thinking about getting into that as a hobby and ive got the friends willing to let me massacre their body while I get good. :p

Yeah, it definetly would come across as douchey a little. But if he were honest, it would give him a great gauge on how his tatoo would be recieved by the public, friends, and himself.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Self taught, I drew a lot so I figured it couldn't be much different (kind of wrong because skin isn't exactly the best surface to draw with a needle on).

If you do get into it, don't skimp on a tattoo machine/inks the tat is there forever. I suggest using higher rounded needles to practice with, if you use 1-3 needle liners to start with its pretty frustrating because its hard to draw a straight line at first. Practice on fruit or pig skin before you start on one of your volunteers just to get a feel for the gun.