Tattoo - What can't the watch do?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by stoomc, Jun 10, 2015.

1. stoomc macrumors regular

Hello all,

I still have another week or 2 to go till I receive my Apple Watch and will more than likely not be able to use it to the fullest as I have a tattoo that goes all the way down my arm and into the wrist area.

Can some kind person put me out of my misery and confirm what I will lose.
    If the HR/ wrist detection is off I understand that it will still receive notifications.
    I dont believe the stand ring fills with it turned off... what about the move and exercise ring?
    Also will the workouts still work with the HR/ wrist detection off?

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Thanks.

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The color of the Tattoo maters as I have a friend who has these all the way from elbow to hand and his AW still works as well as others in this forum.

3. stoomc thread starter macrumors regular

I might not have a problem but would still like to know just in case! :)

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I am afraid that only trying will tell. My Friends arm is almost a jade green right under his watch and it works fine. It is not a light jade green it is pretty dark, too. It will not work were his arm is black or deep red, he says, from him experimenting. He was just like you and thought it would not work, but it did! So there is hope. Best of luck

5. stoomc thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Newtons. Does the HR sensor work on the inside of the wrist? I could use it that way when exercising.

6. AN1 macrumors newbie

Worst case, the HR sensor won't work, and wrist detection won't work either. The latter means you'll either have to enter the passcode every time you want to use the watch, or lose any data protection, theft protection / remote wipe etc. with the activation lock in watchOS 2, and the ability to use Apple Pay.

Official word says the Watch is designed to be worn on top of the wrist, but maybe somebody else can chime in and confirm if the HR sensor works on the bottom as well.

7. flur macrumors 68000

The OP of the "two watches as the same time" thread says he wears his on the inside and everything works fine, so it might work, but it might not - it depends on the person and how snug they wear the watch.

8. stoomc thread starter macrumors regular

Does the workout app, running etc. still work with the HR monitor off? I believe it does.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I just talked to my friend and it does work when turned to the inside of the wrist.

10. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

I have to move it around a bit to get in the right spot where my (small, but right where a watch goes) wrist tattoo won't interfere. When the tattoo is interfering, the watch locks repeatedly if I have on wrist detection. I've usually moved it when it does that, so I'm not sure what else doesn't work.

11. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I have many styles of tattoos, including full coverage ones on my wrists beneath the watch. I have tested the heart rate monitor on various styles of tattoo on my body from SOLID black, I have a few that are literally solid enough black to cover the whole watch backing, to detailed Celtic knotwork, to colorful american traditional tattoos.

I have not been able to replicate the problem. So, there you go, a 1st person account from a person with a ton of tattoos and wrist sleeves, etc.