TAVIK bumper doesn't accommodate car charger-is this common?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by oaktree, Oct 2, 2013.

1. oaktree macrumors regular

I love my TAVIK bumper that I purchased a week ago, but today I needed to charge my iphone 5s while driving, and noticed that it wasn't taking the charge. IT appeared that the problem was the bumper did not allow for sufficient space for the charger to plug into my phone. I had to remove the bumper!

I had an Apple bumper on my last phone (iphone 4) and never had to remove it for charging, so that is what I am accustomed to. Besides the extra pain it is to remove the bumper, I think the fact that I will need to remove, and then put on, the bumper will make the bumper wear out much faster.

So my question is, is this common for most bumpers, and maybe even cases? Am I expecting too much?

2. pdxa4 macrumors 6502

No issue on my one with the Apple cable...It fits fine

3. oaktree thread starter macrumors regular

It's not the apple cable that is the issue, but rather the car charger. I also have no issue with the Apple cable. But I'm unable to get a secure connection with the car charger unless I remove the bumper.

4. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

It's reasonable to believe that some cases do not accommodate some third party chargers.

5. oaktree thread starter macrumors regular

It's not a third party charger. It was purchased at AT&T when we purchased the iPhone 5 for our daughter. That's the frustration.

6. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

It may be certified by Apple, but not MADE by Apple. I'm guessing the box even says "Made for iPhone" in a small black and white label. However, Apple does not make their own car chargers.

Plenty of popular non-Apple lightning cables, including those branded by Amazon and Monoprice, do not fit cases or bumpers with narrower ports.

7. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

We had the same issue with Otterboxes when I worked at AT&T. The car chargers we sold when the 3GS and 4 were out would not fit in the opening on the case. If it's not an Apple-branded product then it is third-party.

8. funnyboy88 macrumors regular

Many third party Lightning cables feature thick plastic around the Lightning port that is much wider than the Apple Lightning cable. Most cases were designed only to accomodate only the Apple sized cable. I also bought a couple of bumpers that I cannot charge with while using my Monoprice Lightning cables. When you buy your case, try to find photos of the bottom of the case. For example, the Photive Bumper was redesigned to accomodate larger Lightning cables.

Yes, this sucks.

9. pdxa4 macrumors 6502

If it is not made by Apple, then it is a 3rd party charger.

Bring it back to the store if you are not happy, it is very common for aftermarket cables to not fit.
    A lot of case designers only design with the Apple cable in mind.

10. oaktree thread starter macrumors regular

This makes sense. But it never occurred to me that this might be the case, no pun intended. Lesson learned. I did go to the Apple store and purchase a car charger that connects to the Apple USB cord, but I've decided to return it, along with the bumper. :(:(:(

Not only would I have to carry my USB cord with me everywhere I go, (or worse, pay for another one), but I would either have to always set it up before starting a drive/trip (which is not in my nature), or it would be difficult/dangerous to remove the plug from the USB cord, and then insert it into the car charger plug, while driving. It just doesn't work for me.

I am still debating about cutting the opening of the bumper to make it larger, but I'm not sure I can do it so that it is aesthetically pleasing, and then , of course, I can't return it.

I just love, love, love this bumper, and am so disappointed that it has this issue. Right now I am using the phone naked. Because I used a bumper for the last 3 years, it feels like it will easily slip out of my hands. But it might just be a matter of getting accustomed to it. I'm also concerned that it will more easily slip out of a pocket when I go for my power walks. I know, I know, I could buy an arm band, but I'm trying to be frugal.

As my daughter said, #firstworldproblems! :D

11. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

I really don't understand this. When we got our 5's (all 3 of us) we bought new car chargers with dual USB plugs. Now we are future proofed for car chargers for quite some time. We also picked up extra lightning cables so we could leave them in both cars all the time. Yeah, it's expensive up front but then I don't have to worry if cases or bumper will fit.

12. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I'm in agreement with this. Buy a lightning cable and leave it plugged into the USB port of the car charger. When you leave your car, detach it from your car's console as one singular unit.....it's the same as having a regular car charger. No additional steps to a set up or dismount. It's just a normal car charger at that point. Set up is exactly the same as with the car charger you've been using. It is in no way more or less safe than your previous set up.

Added benefit is if someone needs to charge a micro-USB device in your car, you can just swap cables.

Lastly, you know with full confidence it will work with all cases and bumpers and that it is MFI certified.

13. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

Mine stays plugged in to the 12V port all the time. There really is no reason to unplug it.

14. oaktree thread starter macrumors regular

That would be the logical thing to do, wouldn't it? It's just the principal of the thing, since we have only ever purchased ONE car charger for the whole family in the past.

I'm assuming I need to purchase the Apple lightning USB cord, as opposed to a less expensive cord?

15. mhdena macrumors 6502

There is a lip inside the hole where the charger goes n the Tavik bumper, I took my Amazon charger in the apple store to test and it wouldn't charge. The power button wasn't responsive either.

I got the apple leather case, Amazon cable fits and charges fine. Apple branded cases fit the best, I also wanted a bumper.

Get a Spigen leather back to cover the apple logo and the Tavik bumper would work if you cut the inner lip of the charging opening.

16. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

If you have multiple cars and multiple iPhones it would seem logical to have a car charger for each car. Of course, most of my customers during my 3 years at AT&T weren't very logical.

17. oaktree thread starter macrumors regular

We have three cars, and four phones, and have never needed more than one car charger. That's our logic for ya! :D

18. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

That wouldn't work in this family. My wife has always had a job that required her to be available to her managers and her direct reports. So she has to have her own. That and Atlanta traffic makes it a necessity for us. That and a teenager that can't seem to keep her freaking phone charged.

19. oaktree thread starter macrumors regular

That explains your "it would seem logical to have a car charger for each car" comment. :)

Our teenagers have a regimented schedule of charging their phones, and typically charge their phones overnight, so they can get through the day without recharging. We parents have either worked at home, or, more recently, been retired :D:D:D, (sorry, I got carried away), and so there is little need for a car charger except on trips. I'm actually the one who uses it the most, because of my hobby of going on buying trips. So it would really pain me to have to buy another charger just for myself.

I'm going to return the bumper, and the additional charger today. I'll use my phone without a case for awhile, and see how that goes. At any rate, I need to step back and regroup to determine what will best meet my needs.

Thanks for your insight, though.

20. takeshi74, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's not uncommon for 3rd party accessories to not work with each other. It's difficult to design everything to be universal with every other accessory out there -- especially with certain types of accessories (cases and docks are another example). Be very careful when shopping to ensure that your accessories can coexist.

Don't assume that "sold by the carrier" = "made by the manufacturer". Carriers stock a lot of third party accessories for all the devices that they sell.

It would seem to me that if that principal mattered then a USB charger would make more sense given that they're fairly universal with the requisite cords. As you said, you have to make the call for yourself. I'm another that not only has chargers in each vehicle but mounts with chargers so our devices can easily and securely dock.

21. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

My daughter charges hers overnight too. It's just that during the day she won't put it down long enough to charge it.